Protein and meal replacment bars

Options
Im just wondering how you guys feel about those? Im always so busy between work, school and my son that I dont have time to cook full nutricious meals and im wndering if anyones had good views on them?

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    PowerBar Protein Plus Dulce de Leche is my favorite, but it really is practically a meal in terms of calories. It is tasty and has 30g of protein. I take one with me when my day looks like it might get crazy. It's worth looking up.

As for protein powder, I like Dynamatize Iso-100 Whey Protein Isolate. 25g of protein, 90 cals, 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 anything.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    They aren't terrible if you're on the go or in a pinch, but lots are loaded with sugar and calories. If you treat them as a true meal replacement, you'll be fine, but they aren't snacks , calorie-wise.

Some granola-type cereal bars are in the 100 calorie range which are pretty good. Better then the 300-400 range of some.

If you grabbed a tub of whey, you could make a pretty quick shake, and adjust the nutrients, and it'd cost you like $1.00.

Lastly, you could make your own, protein-type cookies or bars. Pretty easy, and it'd be a cheaper, healthier alternative.

If you gotta buy em, get em online when they're on sale (or online), sometimes they're 50% off or more.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I am on Isowhey which is a full meal replacement formula with less than 10g of carbs and about 119 calories per scoop, I have these for breakfast and lunch at the moment. I don't think replacement meals/shakes are a problem as long as when you go off them you go into a maintenance/moderation phase rather than overeating etc. They can get pretty boring sometimes and require some commitment to do them regularly.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use them, but I don't use them everyday. I do use a protein type shake after workouts a few times a week. Once in a while I will have a meal replacement bar if I know I will need the calories. You just have to watch the ingredients to make sure they fit with the health choices you are making. Your body will tell you if they are filling enough or not to replace an actual meal.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Protein and meal replacement bars are not good for you. Whey protein (powdered form) is excellent.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    PowerBar Protein Plus Dulce de Leche is my favorite, but it really is practically a meal in terms of calories. It is tasty and has 30g of protein. I take one with me when my day looks like it might get crazy. It's worth looking up.

As for protein powder, I like Dynamatize Iso-100 Whey Protein Isolate. 25g of protein, 90 cals, 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 anything.

25g or protein for 90 cals? Are you POSITIVE? Because that sounds like a biochemical impossibility, as one gram of protein has four calories (just as a gram of carbohydrates has four calories, a gram of fat has 9 calories, and a gram of alcohol has 7 calories)

Also - to answer the original question, I'll occasionally have half a Genisoy protein bar if I have a big exam and have been at school all day without food. It gives me a good boost without crashing my blood sugar during the exam like an apple would.
  • Kalo10
    Kalo10 Posts: 6
    Options
    I didnt even think about making my own. is there place online to get recipes for them?
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Protein and meal replacement bars are not good for you. Whey protein (powdered form) is excellent.

^^^^^^^^ THIS
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Isn't whey protein a type of protein or meal replacement bar????
  • ziggylove
    Options

Can you explain why? How is one different fromt he other?