I really have no idea how to make myself drink more water

I have a 16oz water bottler that I fill half with ice and with water and I only fill it like, twice/day if even that. I am completely in love with Monster, and drink it way too much, but even when I tell myself I'm not going to drink it. I opt out for juice or koolaid rather than water. Any tips on how I can train myself to 1 drink more often and 2 make sure it's water?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Try adding Mio to it. Other than that... open mouth.... pour water down throat. :-D
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    I add Mio to my water, alot easier to get down that way! I cant drink plain water for some reason.

Hope you find something that works for you. Mio now has me drinking 9 to 10 glasses of water a day!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    i do crystal light packets
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    I have no idea. I see this question come up a lot, and to be perfectly honest, I went to Target, got a 64oz Rubbermaid bottle, and I fill it every day. I make myself drink it. There's literally no trick. It's like running or working out. Sure, you can ease yourself into it, but you're still drinking it.

Just drink it. You'll feel better in the long run.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    I always keep two 16oz bottles with me, as soon as I run out I fill them up, everytime I lay my eyes on the water I drink some. It helps to have 2 bottles a lot, you end up drinking more than you usually do, I used to drink like 8 glasses a day and now it's between 15-28 glasses. :)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    You can add lemon to it.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    drink it during working out. thats how i started. now i rarely drink anything besides water.
  • Just do it ! Just drink it ! You will lose more weight with plain, good ol' water...isn't that enough to get you going ?!?!?
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Mioooo!

You could try diluting juices and stuff too. I dilute apple or grape juice. It tastes the same, just not as sweet.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I find that if I have a water bottle with me when I'm working or doing stuff around the house I will keep sipping slowly at it.
    But, if you really can't drink more water than your juice and other drinks will still be getting water into you. You just have to decide if you are prepared to take those calories in as juice rather than food, or if you like artificial sweeteners. Personally I don't so I stick to water but it's your call.
    And you can get quite a lot of liquid from your diet - if you are eating soup, yoghurt, fruit/veggies as opposed to crackers and "dry" food, that will help too.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Mio is amazing and the Strawberry ( I think that is the flavor) tastes a lot like Koolaid! I like Propel also. Strawberry Kiwi is my favorite. I got to where I started craving water. I used to be hooked on Rockstars, but I had to gradually stop drinking them. I had to do it slowly because my body was addicted to the caffeine and I would get a horrible headache. Try 5 hour energy for a while if you need the energy boost. It is much healthier than Monster and all those. You just have to train your body to drink more water and find other things to put in it to make it taste good. Good Luck!!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    I just focus on it at least 5 times a day...chug 16 oz at one time. It has gotten easier since I have gotten in the habit. Try to limit your monsters.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I really couldn't answer this question. I just started keeping water on hand, and I found myself drinking it subconciously. If I am particularly dehydrated in the moment I could drink up to 4 oz in a single setting. I really don't even keep track of how much water I drink anymore. I had 10 cups before I had left work and I know had at least 4 to 6 more since I've been home.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    I have no idea. I see this question come up a lot, and to be perfectly honest, I went to Target, got a 64oz Rubbermaid bottle, and I fill it every day. I make myself drink it. There's literally no trick. It's like running or working out. Sure, you can ease yourself into it, but you're still drinking it.

Just drink it. You'll feel better in the long run.

I do the same thing, pretty much. It works!
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    I use to only drink soft drink and tea, i never use to drink water at all not even a glass! I now drink 6 glasses most days, except maybe twice a week i have 4 + 2 glasses coke zero. I still need to drink more but its better than i was before!

Not sure if what worked for me will work for you, but you could give it a try. Basically i lied to myself every day saying water was a magic diet drink that would make me loose weight. I knew it was a lie but when i thought of it like that i felt really encouraged to drink it, like it was going to change everything for me. Anyone people do say water is the weightloss drink. Also i just remind myslf of the empty calories that is in other drinks. Like i could have that can of coke or i could have all this food instead etc

And i combine what other people have said . I have two water bottles that i just constantly refill. Once they are empty, i fill them up again. Makes it easier and it just seems nice in a bottle. also means im more likely to wolf down it all in one go which helps. I keep one on my desk at work and just drink out of it all the time. And when i'm hungry I drink water to start with to help fill me up.

But i was also having health issues before i started dieting that were a result of not drinking water, and that was good encouragment to drink more.
  • It might not be the most pleasant way of remembering but every time you use bathroom drink a big glass water. Before you know it you will be drinking more than the 8 classes.
  • I had to find bottled waters that I like, I travel a lot for work and there's a lot of tap water that is just flat out disgusting.
    I have these Lipton single serve packets, I'll add half to a bottle of water through out the day just to taste something different.
    I'm outside 13/15 hours a day, I need to be drinking water.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    i do crystal light packets

I do this ^

I like drinking water only when I am working out or with meals. It helps me using the packets when I just need to drink water or help suppress a food craving.
  • ElusiveOly
    ElusiveOly Posts: 7 Member
    I add DiVinci flavoring. (I can't tolerate the Torano brand. They have some after taste that is repulsive to me.) They are made for coffee and Italian sodas. They are sweetened with Splenda which may not be okay but it works. I use Vanilla, Amaretto, Toasted Hazelnut as my favorite flavors. It has helped my immensely. Good luck!
  • HeatherScottTN
    HeatherScottTN Posts: 65 Member
    Try adding Mio to it. Other than that... open mouth.... pour water down throat. :-D

Great tip here...especially the 2nd part :-) LOL! Not many of us enjoy drinking the amount of water we SHOULD drink. It takes a mindset and commitment. Start by the moment you get up, drinking 8-16 ounces. Your body is thirsty even if you don't think it is. You can do it. Just start drinking drinking drinking... and step away from the monster and koolaid