Across the United States in One Year

Options
Hello fellow MFPers!

My name is Shawna and I believe that I have a challenge that many of you will find rewarding, difficult and hopefully fun!

It is stated that the shortest distance (as the crow flies) from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean via the United States is 2,092 miles (3,347 km). This distance will take you from San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL.

My goal, or rather, my idea for this challenge is to walk, swim, bike, run, etc. your way "across the United States" within one year. If you have already been tracking your miles then back date yourself and see where you are now. If not, pick a date in the future and start tracking! I can help keep track of anyone who is interested!

This is going to be a year of change for me! My daughter and husband will be with me every step of the way and I hope I can be here for all of you! Best of luck!!

Shawna

Replies

• ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome idea!! My initial thought is that I would never be able to do that, so I am really going to think about joining you. Update us as you go as well, I would love to hear how its going!!!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! Yesterday was my birthday, so even though I've already been running, I think I'd like to start over with today's miles anyway, and see how far I get by next year's birthday. Awesome idea! =)
  • zoey36918
    Options
    I counted my miles for swimming, biking and running starting October 1. I am at 84.6 miles so far this month.

If you break it down into smaller numbers it seems more achievable and gives you mini goals to work toward.

Monthly goal - 174.3 miles
    Weekly goal - 40.2 miles
    Daily goal - 5.7 miles (2012 is a leap year so you get an extra day)
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    I love it! I've been doing the same right now with my friend. Our destination is to meet in the middle. It's a distance of 289 miles each. I'm also a memeber at a website and they have us walking through san fransico starting tomorrow. I love these challenges it makes walking the block more interesting. I'd love to do this pedometer challenge with some of my friends who are walking with me but are not on this website. I'm interested in knowing how you are keeping track of your distance. I've got just a basic chart for the one I'm in now that keeps my daily and than a coloum for my total.
  • zoey36918
    Options
    I have an excel spreadsheet that I use. I also have a workout calendar that tells me my workout goals for the day.
  • zoey36918
    Options
    6.2 Mile Run this morning and a 1/2 Mile Swim yesterday afternoon. I am almost to 100 Miles!
  • zoey36918
    Options
    I found a great website that tracks this for me! It includes a route and pictures!

http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html