Low Sugar Foods?

badgerstump
badgerstump Posts: 5 Member
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,

I am very new to this and had a recent scare that I may be predisposed to diabetes. Can anyone offer some low sugar food/meal options that do not require a lot of preparation or money?

Also, can cutting soda out of my diet really make a huge impact on my sugar levels?

Thanks

Replies

• kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    The first thing you should do is cut out the soda. You should see a big impact.
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Regular soda has a boatload of sugar, so yes, cutting it out can have a great positive impact.

I eat lower carb/higher good fat and protein and my sugar cravings are slowly getting more normalized but I also have started substituting coconut palm sugar in my occasional coconut flour baked treats or coconut milk ice cream (home made!) Much better for me when I must indulge.

If you avoid processed foods it's quite a bit easier to reduce your sugar intake. Shop the fresh foods. Not sure what sorts of protein you enjoy but for us, chicken, eggs, some cheese (aged types, not processed), mostly are pretty economical with other meat or fish once a week or so (whatever is on sale and looks good.) I cut out grains and traditional baked goods, lots of sugar hidden in those.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Regular soda has a boatload of sugar, so yes, cutting it out can have a great positive impact.

I eat lower carb/higher good fat and protein and my sugar cravings are slowly getting more normalized but I also have started substituting coconut palm sugar in my occasional coconut flour baked treats or coconut milk ice cream (home made!) Much better for me when I must indulge.

If you avoid processed foods it's quite a bit easier to reduce your sugar intake. Shop the fresh foods. Not sure what sorts of protein you enjoy but for us, chicken, eggs, some cheese (aged types, not processed), mostly are pretty economical with other meat or fish once a week or so (whatever is on sale and looks good.) I cut out grains and traditional baked goods, lots of sugar hidden in those.

Agree
  • badgerstump
    Any thoughts on vanilla almond milk? I use that for my cereal but am really not sure about it...
  • badgerstump
    Any thoughts on vanilla almond milk? I use that for my cereal but am really not sure about it...
  • Hi! I'm trying to keep my sugar calories down too. Are you using MFP to track your sugar calories?

I'm not diabetic, but my mum and dad have been told they're both predisposed to it ....

http://www.bestdiabeticrecipes.com/

Dark chocolate is low in sugar - and contains healthy MUFTA (mono-unsaturated fatty acid) that is supposed to help burn other fats. So hopefully you either like dark chocolate - or can learn to like it ;)

I'm using natural organic pure stevia as my sweetener. It's nicer in powder form (there's the tiniest scoop you ever saw with the bottle - you wouldn't believe how sweet the tiniest bit is!)

Definitely cut back on the soda.

Here are a couple of articles that might interest you about how the body handles sugar calories:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425 and
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/health/article/-/5459797/sugar-fructose-weight-gain/

Best of luck!
  • badgerstump
    Thank you so much for the info! Yes, I joined this site to help with my sugar calories...that and I am virtually food illiterate! I am finding I have no idea what is in food and how to make healthy decisions...yikes!

I do like dark chocolate so that is good news but will try organic pure stevia...that is a new one for me.

I hope you are doing well and never develop diabetes...it has been a scare for me I never thought I would have to deal with.

Thanks again...I will read the articles ASAP!
This discussion has been closed.