Lower Carbs Question

Options
I am wondering if when following a reduced carb intake (100g or less) can you still have rice, pasta and potato as long as the portion size is small enough to keep you within your allowance?

I am more on a maintanence level now than a weight loss (but a couple of lbs off would not be a problem)

Thanks in advance

Jaycee

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! That's waht I do - no food is off limits, but the high carb stuff I dont have every day, and only in small portions. It works well for me - try it and see how it goes for you.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! That's waht I do - no food is off limits, but the high carb stuff I dont have every day, and only in small portions. It works well for me - try it and see how it goes for you.

Thanks

I thought it should be ok, but then the way that people talk about some higher carb foods made me concerned that I should never eat them!
  • ramessesi
    Options
    I think just limit the time you have them throughout a week then you will be fine.
    For me I allow myself to overtake carbs a little bit 3 days per week since I'm a sweet food lover :b
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to between 100-150g a day. That's pretty easy to do without radical cutting out of food groups, and still allows me to eat with family/ go out to dinner etc.

Now I will say that everyone is different, and you do need to experiment a bit to see what works for you. And if you're doing a great deal of cardio then your body will be expecting a higher carb intake.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    First of all, depends on how carb-intolerant your metabolism is. Some people's metabolisms can only take a very few carbs at a time without triggering an insulin reaction and all kinds of problems. It's not just how many carbs you eat in a day, it's how many you eat in one sitting that matters, too, if you have some level of insulin resistance.

If you don't have that severe of a reaction to them, then you can, technically, have a little rice or pasta. But I think it makes things more difficult. My carb limit is lower than yours, but personally I like to save my carb allowance for veggies & the occasional fruit. If I splurge on something containing wheat or rice, I'm done for the day & have to stick to strictly meat & eggs after that. And I'd rather spread it out a little bit, be able to eat my meat with veggies. But that's just me.