Macronutrients help please

Options
After a lot of research I have decided the best way for me to lose weight is to track my macronutrients, is there an easy way to figure out exactly what i should be having every day? Not very good at math and after reading alot of posts on here, i am just more confused than ever on how to come up with the right numbers. I am male 44Y.O. 210# moderately active and hit the gym 4 to 5 times a week/hour a day doing cardio weights and cardio again, but considering dropping cardio and concentrating on weights with maybe light cardio to continue the burn on the muscles. MFP shows me at 2060 calories per day for 1 lb weight loss but not sure about the macronutrients as they have them listed 286/69/78 carbs/fat/protein. Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    MFP shows me at 2060 calories per day for 1 lb weight loss but not sure about the macronutrients as they have them listed 286/69/78 carbs/fat/protein. Any input would be appreciated!

Without knowing your lean mass I would start you at roughly:

2100kcal

188c
    70f
    180p
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    After a lot of research I have decided the best way for me to lose weight is to track my macronutrients, is there an easy way to figure out exactly what i should be having every day? Not very good at math and after reading alot of posts on here, i am just more confused than ever on how to come up with the right numbers. I am male 44Y.O. 210# moderately active and hit the gym 4 to 5 times a week/hour a day doing cardio weights and cardio again, but considering dropping cardio and concentrating on weights with maybe light cardio to continue the burn on the muscles. MFP shows me at 2060 calories per day for 1 lb weight loss but not sure about the macronutrients as they have them listed 286/69/78 carbs/fat/protein. Any input would be appreciated!

1. Set calories

2 Set protein (1g/lb LBM)

3: Set fat (.5g/lb )

4: How you fill in the rest is personal preference
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Consume .5g - 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.
    Consume .35g - .75g of dietary fat per lb of bodyweight.

Put the rest either into carbs, or follow the IIFYM method and eat whatever you want. As long as you stay under your TDEE and eat at a deficit, the weight will come off. If you do some sort of resistance weight training and eat the minimum protein macro's above, you will retain as much lean mass as possible while burning fat.
  • joejccva71
    Options

1. Set calories

2 Set protein (1g/lb LBM)

3: Set fat (.5g/lb )

4: How you fill in the rest is personal preference

You're like my twin. Get outta my head please. =)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Put the rest either into carbs, or follow the IIFYM method and eat whatever you want. As long as you stay under your TDEE and eat at a deficit, the weight will come off. If you do some sort of resistance weight training and eat the minimum protein macro's above, you will retain as much lean mass as possible while burning fat.

For the record (OP), I used 1g/lb lean mass using a rough estimation, .35g/lb fat, and rest in carbs. Closely following the above and Emma-Leigh's baller post.
  • joejccva71
    Options

For the record (OP), I used 1g/lb lean mass using a rough estimation, .35g/lb fat, and rest in carbs. Closely following the above and Emma-Leigh's baller post.

Yea I use 1g per lb of LBM too. Didn't want to get crazy with the OP though. So i figure .5g per lb of bw is a safe bet for him.
  • jerryellis
    Options
    Awesome info all! I will start this ASAP! Thank you!