Determining Servings in Recipes

Options
Trying to figure out how to determine servings in recipes I already make. I know how to use the Recipe Builder on here, but don't know how many servings to put in.

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I make it up and dish it out into single serving containers. Then I adjust the servings number if I made more or less than I thought.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale, so that's what I use.

I will weigh my casserole dish or soup pot before I load it up. Then I weigh it when I'm done cooking and subtract the difference, giving me the weight of the food. Then, I take out what looks like a serving, and weigh THAT. Total weight divided by weight of one serving = number of servings!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I usually enter the recipe after I make it and divide it into servings.... or cut it into correct size pieces etc.

For instance, tonight I made some green pea puree (broth, peas, greek yogurt, spices, ricotta etc)
    It made 3 cups total and I put it into 6 little 1/2 cup tupperwares for single servings -- so I entered the recipes as 6 servings.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I enter a recipe I think about how many people it usually serves. Like if the hubby and I eat and have enough leftovers for one, then I enter 3 as the serving size.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I put the whole recipe in. Then I determine how many servings I can get out it and make that the number. Even if I eat a little more one day than another, it all evens out in the end. But I only cook for myself. If cooking for others I would say weigh all the ingredients beforehand then guesstimate.
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    I wish that, when searching other people's recipe, that it showed serving size, instead of just '1 serving'.. I don't like having to actually make something and split it up before I know how much to serve and/or how many people it will feed.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I wish that, when searching other people's recipe, that it showed serving size, instead of just '1 serving'.. I don't like having to actually make something and split it up before I know how much to serve and/or how many people it will feed.
    For my own recipes, I always put the serving size in the title of the dish so that I remember!--- e.g., "Spicy Indian Lentils-1/2 Cup"
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I use a super duper technical method that requires skills and a lot of thought, but I will share my secret with you. I hope you can keep up....ready? Here it is, but don't tell anyone....k....

I cook it, I look at it, and I think "hmm...how much of that would it take to fill me up? 1/2 or 1/4?" That's how I determine how many servings. ALL my recipes serve 2 or 4.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I use a super duper technical method that requires skills and a lot of thought, but I will share my secret with you. I hope you can keep up....ready? Here it is, but don't tell anyone....k....

I cook it, I look at it, and I think "hmm...how much of that would it take to fill me up? 1/2 or 1/4?" That's how I determine how many servings. ALL my recipes serve 2 or 4.

woohoo this must mean that I'm super duper technical too!! This is totally my method! Or I try and visualise in my head how much I think the recipe will make and whether I will eat 1/2 or a 1/3 or a 1/6 of it. Then when I make it, if it comes out different, then I adjust accordingly!
  • FFCLawson
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That's what I figured...I would have to either split it all up before I ate it or just guess! I really don't want to do either. Wish there was a better way.