Food cravings in the evening : do you have tricks how to pre

Options
I just can't help bunging myself at night, even after a good dinner.
I feel an urge to eat, like I need to do so and I am really hungry. Then I feel shy of it...

:(

Do you good tricks to counter this?

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    hot tea!
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues lately as well. I have actually noticed that I seem to have gained a few pounds back and I am sure it is because of this excessive snacking. I find that I don't have the problem when I keep myself busy. It is when I allow myself to sit in front of the television for a few hours in the evenings. Let's just determine to do better! We have the will power within us...we just have to use it :)
  • quizzyrascal
    quizzyrascal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Jelly.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You are probably thirsty, try drinking something like Green Tea or Water.

Or if you are open to new ideas have a look at Paul McKenna I can make you thin and especially this link:

http://youtu.be/2OiLdc426Ro

Will seem crazy but try it, you may be surprised :)

Good luck

Rich
  • LoriFleming
    LoriFleming Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Drink water..... water usually helps curb hunger.
    Brush your teeth..... who wants to eat something after freshly brushing their teeth?
    Go for a walk..... can't eat if you're out and away from the kitchen!
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    If I feel like I want to snack, or get a treat, I'll run upstairs and brush my teeth! Than I won't eat anything else...
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not all at once and not in this order - depends how snacky I'm feeling!...

Fennel tea (appetite suppressant, clean my teeth, drink water or diet lemonade. I also try to save some of my calories for the evening and have discovered that i can have a good sized bowl of stewed apple and some 0% Fage Greek yoghurt for very few calories.
  • melissashparago89
    Options
    i've been having the same problem. and I KNOW its bad, yet I do it anyways? I haven't lost any weight in a while and it's because of this.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Water, walking or GUM. My trainer said its the best trick! Keep busy - turn out the lights in the kitchen. Making it dark and off limits.!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Plan to exercise after work/dinner. That helps me to stay out of the kitchen!

Make sure you are eating enough during the day. When I wasn't eating enough, I had major problems of coming home from work starving. This led to extra snacking at night/not controling portion sizes.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I usually leave 100-150 cals for the evening treat so I can have that little peice of chocolate with strawberries or paddle pop or piece of fruit with a cup of tea =)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Keep myself busy and have a few planned pieces of chocolate. :)
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Have a drink, clean your teeth, chew gum. I used to do all these and now I never snack on an evening anymore. If I do have a snack I have popcorn (buy the kernals that you pop yourself in pan) they're low calorie and you can add your own seasoning to them. :)
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I completely agree.

But I also have "hunger pains" late at night....in order to stop this I have given myself a time that I am not supposed to eat after, for me it is 7:30p. this has helped me a ton with calories at night, and also helps me feel better in the mornings. I actually eat some shaved ice around 8:30, to help me avoid the fridge!

Good luck!
  • bmg1876
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said and also offer:

Buy some Dove Dark Chocolate Promises and eat two of them when you feel the urge to snack. The antioxidants and such in the dark chocolate are beneficial to your body health wise and I've found if I eat one or two pieces a few small nibbles at a time that it really curbs some of that hunger and because it's chocolate (side note: I don't generally like dark chocolate, but the Dove is an exception!) it lets me feel like I'm really treating myself.

To make it even healthier and stave off a bit more hunger, pair it with a handful of almonds.

Some other ideas:

Do a crossword puzzle
    Read a few pages in a book
    Make a list of reasons the weight loss you're trying to gain is better than the taste of whatever it is you're craving.

Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Seems like you need to plan a snack in your evening out of your daily allotment of calories.

Of the suggestions above, exercise seems to be a good appetite killer. Get on the treadmill and see if the cravings go away. I never need a snack after I've watched my favorite TV programs while on the treadmill. A shower and bed look pretty good. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I CHUG a big 24-oz tumbler of water-- not hot or cold, just tap temperature. That instant "really really full" feeling gets my mind off food (and instead on how stuffed I feel!).
  • Jenean125
    Jenean125 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually leave 100-150 cals for the evening treat so I can have that little peice of chocolate with strawberries or paddle pop or piece of fruit with a cup of tea =)

I do the same thing! I know I have this problem and try to plan for it...I just make sure I have some leeway so even if I overdo it in the evening, I'm still within my goals for the day.

But I think part of my evening snacking is due to our early dinner. Something else my hubby and I have thought about trying is to have a healthy snack like some fruit or a salad when we normally would have dinner (which is around 4:30p or 5p), then have our normal dinner around 6:30p or so; then I really wouldn't have time in the evening to get munchy again...I would still be satisfied from dinner! We'll see what happens!
  • MarieAnneN
    Options

I completely agree.

But I also have "hunger pains" late at night....in order to stop this I have given myself a time that I am not supposed to eat after, for me it is 7:30p. this has helped me a ton with calories at night, and also helps me feel better in the mornings. I actually eat some shaved ice around 8:30, to help me avoid the fridge!

Good luck!

I tried the drinking.. but it makes things worst! I even get stomac cramp for nothing, like if my brain was not sending the right message to my body, weird... :(
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I eat within my calories at dinner and to 6 Week 6 Pack after dinner. And bingo, 250 more calories. I don't eat all of them but it is enough for a small snack before bed. I can't sleep if I'm hungry and if I force myself to go to sleep hungry, I wake up miserable. But the snack is only if I'm hungry. I take a shower and brush my teeth. If I still want to eat after brushing my teeth, then I know I'm actually hungry.