Based on a 2000 Calorie diet

How do you accurately count calories when it says based on a 2000 calorie intake diet? I am not sure if the value of calories per serving changes, but I am on a 1200 calorie diet with extra through exercise and I just wondered and I accurately counting.

thanks a lot

Replies

• newbaby90908
    newbaby90908 Posts: 33 Member
    How do you accurately count calories when it says based on a 2000 calorie intake diet? I am not sure if the value of calories per serving changes, but I am on a 1200 calorie diet with extra through exercise and I just wondered and I accurately counting.

thanks a lot
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    The value of calories per serving doesn't change...the 2000 means how many calories you can eat. You enter in the items you eat in a day - and the amount...or servings...and when it's all totalled up you have the total number of calories.

I am not sure what you mean if it isn't this definition.
  • newbaby90908
    oh sorry. I was having soup today I bought from Wal-mart and while entering the calories on mfp I noticed that on the bottom of the label it says "based on a 2000 calorie diet". I guess I was wondering if the label was really accurate or not.

It's probably not that big of a deal - just wondering.

Thanks
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    I believe that is referring to the percentages they have listed. You know where is says "Pertectage of Daily Value" (or something like that)? It is telling you what percentage (based on a 2,000 calorie diet) the amount of Fat, Sodium, Carbs, etc that is in that item takes up in comparison to your whole recommended daily value. I believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, however you slice it.

I could be way off but that is how I've always seen it. I hope this helps! :smile:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Based on a 2000 calorie diet is the % - so if something is 200 calories it would be 10% of the total. The calories, or sodium, or fiber amounts don't change - this is to reflect the % of the total - which would change whether it's a 2,000 calorie diet you are on, or a 2,500 calorie, or even a 1,500 calorie diet - it's just a % of the total.
  • newbaby90908
    Thank you guys so much.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    the "based on a 2000 calorie diet" does refer to the % of recommended daily value it usually says that right on the nutrition label