Foods/Pills Good For Hair Growth?

Options
Trying to grow my hair back out from cutting is short. I want it to be very healthy. Any suggestions on what foods or pills made your hair grow well? I used to take Biotin and had good luck with that...

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    eat Jello its great for hair and nail growth
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Prenatal vitamins
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Biotin and folic acid; when i was asking the pharmacist about biotin she suggested folic acid as well... I've only been taking them for a few weeks so hopefully in a month I'll see a difference...
  • taritchie
    taritchie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can buy a hair/skin/nails supplement at any drug store. Nutrilite also makes one that is really good.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If only I had your problem :(
  • sjum
    sjum Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your fueling your body with awesome food which should be most of what you need. As a licensed cosmo I would also recommend a great shampoo/conditioner and don't over 'do' your hair. Also - be gentle on your hair when it's wet and with the 'hot' stuff - lots of damage can occur then. Good luck! :-D
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've been taking biotin for weeks now and haven't noticed a lick of difference.
  • Shariegreen
    Options
    Trying to grow my hair back out from cutting is short. I want it to be very healthy. Any suggestions on what foods or pills made your hair grow well? I used to take Biotin and had good luck with that...

It's not a supplement but try this shampoo. I get it at Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, etc. My sister and I both started using it last year and our hair grew SO FAST. Probably because it's very nourishing and eliminated breakage. My hair feels so thick now, too, which I never had because it's fine, but I have a lot of it. Everyone at my work comments how long my hair got so fast and even my hair stylist asked what I was using because it was in such good shape and grew so quickly.

Renpure Organics, My Pretty Hair Is Parched! Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner. Trying to paste an image below, not sure if it'll work: :embarassed:

chics-my-pretty-hair-is-parched.jpg
  • elianexox
    elianexox Posts: 177 Member
    Options
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    zinc and folic acid
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    niiice thanks!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Prenatals.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My sister had use prenatal vitamins because she was pregrant, and suprisingly her hair grew a lot.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I am a big fan of MSM. (methylsulfonylmethane)

I take 2 a day, one in am one in pm. Great for joints, connective tissues, skin , hair and nails. Also said to help the cells absorb other nutrients easier, as it helps make cell walls more permeable. many people swear by it for toxin flushing etc. I know my skin does look better, and more plumper with use. Nails grow mush faster, and are thicker. I also have less joint pain from some old injuries I have.

There are many good sources to purchase, but I like the quality of Vitacost.

http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-MSM

One study I read, MSM was given twice a day ( 2000 mg total) to participants over a 3 month period. And hair increased in growth speed, and thickness. Shedding loss also decreased. This was measure by third party independent people, and also using special photography. I believe 75% of participants had results. It was a small study of about 200 people.

You can safely take upto 6000 mg a day, and many people take much higher does to treat diseases, and health issues, as a therapeutic dose take long term daily. (used for fibromialga, many joint and skin issues, etc)

I know personally when I add it to my diet, in about 8-12 weeks hair growth speed has increased. And after about three months it doubles. Normally my growth rate is about 1/2 inch a month, year round. (I know because I dye my hair) - when taking MSM regularly - I get about an inch a month year round. I also notice a dramatic change in shed rate (amount of hair on shower floor, or in brush with daily brushing) I researched this heavily, and was tracking all this, for myself, as I was reaching an age where my hair growth was slowing and thinning. It is now back to the level it should be. I have been taking it for about 5 years now.

A good Multi vitamin along with Protein and Biotin are great, and beneficial. But I found MSM gave me the biggest noticeable boost. However I do still take other supplements to give me biotin, extra protein etc, for other reasons. But I have tried a number of things to improve skin, hair and nails, and the one that I personal felt helped the fastest and most was MSM. When I run out, and skip it, I see a change back to the thinner hair, faster shed rate, slower growth range.

Results with any vitamin or food change typically take 3-4-6 months to show, as the hair goes through different growth cycles. Growth, rest and dead. Not all follicles are in the same phase at the same time. So take any supplement for at least 3-4 months. Not all "hair nail vitamins" are equal. Not all prenatal have enough of the things needs for skin and hair.

Of course eliminate things that cause excess breakage or shedding. be gentle with your hair. :)

Many studies have shown gellton or jello really does very little for hair and nail growth for most people. I am sure there are exceptions, but never did a lick for me. :)

It is common in pregnancy to see a fast hair growth and thicker hair, because less hair are detaching due to hormonal changes at that time, and all metabolic processes are changed and increased. This make for a thick head or hair, and fast growth. Then after birth, when hormone levels change, many women see a dramatic loss of that extra hair. (happened to me in pregnancy/ after delivery)

So you need to allow hair to go through complete cycles to actually see a changes. And hair typically grows slower in winter - faster in summer.
  • I just started taking Biotin to help my hair grow faster. What does Folic Acid do to help it grow faster?