Colon Cleanse question...

Options
Is this something you can do on a work day or is it something you want to do on a weekend?

Replies

• monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I definately wouldn't do it on a work day!!!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think it is a very personal decision and should not be shared on the Internet :)
  • me1howard
    me1howard Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking weekend activity.....
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you even want to do it? By upping your fiber intake through fruits and veggies you can do a pretty good job of naturally cleansing your colon without causing any cramping or other side effects/issues. If you have any sort of issues like IBS, etc. you should talk to your doctor first.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Experts actually do not recommend a cleanse of any kind (especially this kind). It rids the body of beneficial bacteria and basically your body has to start over. You need that bacteria for a healthy immune system.

Check out the dangers here:

http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Information/item/The+Dangers+of+Colon+Cleansing?archiveChannel=Home/Article&clicked=true
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I did a 3-day cleanse that began on a Saturday and ended on a Monday (a work day). I was fine. How many days are you "cleansing" for? What kind of cleanse are you doing? I did a 3-Day Shakeology cleanse and I was not in the bathroom every 30 minutes, if that is what you are afraid of.
  • char2009
    Options
    weekend :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's the summary:

First, the premise behind it is false. The colon knows how to do its job. It is a self-cleaning system that is constantly absorbing nutrients, shedding old cells and keeping a delicate balance of bacteria and natural chemicals. Interfering with this process can upset this balance, meaning the colon won't work as well as it should.

Another possible problem is that people who get this treatment may absorb too much water. This could lead to a chemical imbalance in the body, which could cause nausea, vomiting, fluid in the lungs and heart failure.

An extra danger of colon cleansing is that if the equipment used to flush out your colon is not thoroughly clean, you could end up with a bacterial infection. There is also the risk of making a hole (perforation) in the wall of the colon, which could kill you.

You can also skip the colon-cleansing supplements. As with all supplements, you won't know what you are getting. The Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate colonics, so manufacturers can make health claims that aren't supported by solid evidence. Chances are, you'll be wasting your money on something you don't need anyway.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's something you should never do. those things are scams and what you see coming out is exactly what you put in. There is so much information on why you shouldn't do this (reputable information from actual studies, not media). Do yourself a favor and save the money (and your body).
  • abeachlady
    Options
    It should not be done at all.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I did that one time, I had to stop because of the cramps it caused! OUCH. I cannot stress to you enough - DO IT ON A WEEKEND!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    JESSICA 2 SKINNY

Great site! Read up and learned alot!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You want to cleanse your colon eat a bunch of terrible fast foods and add hot sauce on it. KFC usually gets my belly motor rumbling.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I did one a few years back and it was on a weekday. If your concern is regarding toilet behaviour, I was fine. In fact if you think the cleanse cleans you out then it may take longer than usual to be have another evacuation.

I agree somewhat with others that you don't need one but I was intreived. I haven't done one again but would if I had more spare money. I did learn that I have strong bowel muscles but eat too much wheat that was causing a lot of mucus.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    It was something I wanted to try. It's not for weightless or anything like that. I've arguments from both sides of people in the past.I just wasn't sure how bad it made things for you to be spending time in bathroom.
  • Alice230
    Options
    Okay you are going to do what you are going to do and I understand that. Let me just warn you that this is something you should NOT DO EVER! It is not healthy and does absolutely NOTHING for your colon. It can also be dangerous. These cleanses and Colonics are not doing anything your colon would not do on its own and it is also removing good bacteria that builds up in the colon over time.
    Never a good idea.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it at all -- what's the point unless you're A.) Clogged up. B.) Prepping for a colonoscopy and/or your doctor told you.

For sudden weight loss = bad idea. Think it will rid bad bacteria and/or remove toxins = bad idea. Your body naturally flushes out your colon if it needs to do so... hence the occasional bout of diarrhea. Colon cleanses can do harm to the preexisting flora if you're not careful.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Oh please... everyone knows it doesn't work without a bottle brush. Sheesh..