What exercise would work?

I work full time, then go home and have to do the "home life", you know, laundry, house work, help kids with homework, fix dinner.... this list could go on and on. I also attend school online as well. But my question is where do I fit in working out more? Right now I walk about 1/2 hour daily with my dog, she can not handle much more then that. I want to do more but some times it just feels like I work, come home and work and then its bed time- ugh! I really want to ramp up my workout but having some diffucultly "finding the time". I know that sounds so cliche but really there IS only so much time in a day and when you are being pulled in so many directions how do you "make time" for yourself and working out? With the days getting colder and it also getting dark sooner its gonna be even harder to get motivated to get out and work out- just curious what others in my situation are doing?

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I don't have kids - but I work a lot. I know a lot of people with children either work out before the kids get up, or after the kids go to bed. If you added in a good work out dvd AFTER the kids go to bed for a half hour or 45 minutes, in addition to the walking, it would probably help a lot. On the weekends you should try to incorporate the kids into the work out. i.e. go for a nice long walk while it's nice outside.... go for a long bike ride.... Bowling is great fun, and it's a great calorie burner.
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Can you walk to/from work? Or part of the journey perhaps. How about involving the family in your training regime, such as going swimming?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I work full time, am writing a novel and have to do housework, as well.

I still manage to grab an hour a day (or more) to work out. Sometimes, I choose to be lazy and not do it, but it's the rare day that there isn't time for it.

I know school takes a lot of free time, but so does trying to write 2,000-4,000 words a day on top of everything else.
  • sounds like you need help. Can your kids help you around the house? How about a husband, or are you doing this alone? You're plate is very full. The only thing I can think of is doing a DVD like the 30 day shred by Jillian MIchaels. Those are like 20 minute workouts that are condensed. Other than that, not sure. Don't burn yourself out.
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    It is hard I will not lie but you have to find time in your day and force yourself to do it. I get up early prior to waking up my little ones and do one workout and then when they go to bed I will wrap up the house. After this I will do another workout session. It is really hard sometimes especially if the kids had a bad night. But when your body starts to change it is completely worth it. :) Hope you find a balance and a way to fit it in.

Also I do inside exercises at the house such as Videos, Xbox Kinect, and the treadmill. Once you find what you like it will be something you look forward to .

Good luck
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    If you want it bad you'll find a way. I used the same excuse. I have 2 kids, work full time. was in school full time. Came home and did the cleaning, cooking, homework etc. Same thing that every parent/adult has to do. But, I found a way to better manage my time. I started to wake up a half hour early to ride the stationary bike or do a video. I planned out meals ahead of time and even made them and froze them to save time. Your right there is only so much time in the day. But, you have to sacrifice to get what you want. It will be worth it in the end!

Good luck : )
  • melissa4221
    melissa4221 Posts: 28 Member
    I have work out DVD's and I try to get them in before the kids get up and that way it is out of the way :)
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    On my lunch hour....I go to a personal fitness gym and run the treadmill or lift a few weights. Helps to get me through the rest of the afternoon and I don't feel guilty when I go home at night and can't fit a workout in. I don't like coming back to work and sitting behind the desk after working out, but yesterday I realized that working out a little is better than not working out at all.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Hey i have 3 kids 5yr old 3yr old and a 11month old. So im back and to to school 3 times a day at 40mins each go.
    Then when there in bed ill do a dvd. or ive been doing my aerobic step so i can watch my telly as well lol
  • jem728
    jem728 Posts: 88
    There are some great DVDs' that are short, but effective. I'm currently doing The Firm Express Thin in 30. The workouts are only 20 minutes, 3 times a week. I really enjoy the workouts, but some of them are not easy. I get a great workout in 20 minutes. The set is pretty pricey compared to 30 Day Shred (another good workout DVD), but you can always get them cheaper on ebay.

HTH
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    I had to really make adjustments in my household in order to fit my exercise time in. I used to make excuses about having too much to do in the evenings. I was also VERY tired in the evenings, but once I started exercising daily, my energy levels have gone way up. I used to love to get up early and exercise (very hard to do at first, but made me feel great ALL day)...but with my schedule I would have to get up at 4am to fit it in and that is just a bit too early for me! Now I exercise at 8pm right after I put my kids to bed. I do about an hour of cardio including Turbo Jam video & workouts by Lindsay Brin of Mom's Into Fitness. Lindsay Brin has a workout video called "Post Natal Boot Camp" which includes several workouts that are 5 & 10 minutes, which you can mix and match. Her favorite video of mine is called Shred 5 Fast, but it is a 30 minute workout which includes kickboxing, core & strength (weights). Luckily, I have never been a big TV watcher, because there is NO time in my weekly schedule to watch TV, especially working out at 8pm. I miss everything! I don't even bother to attempt to DVR as I know I would never have time to watch later. Also, I have to kick my husband out of our large living room with the big TV to do my workout. He complies & retreats to the bedroom to watch TV. Also, I have had to be okay with some nights the dishes just don't get done or all the toys don't get picked up, etc. Also, I do get up about 15 mins early in the morning to do things I sacrificed the night before (pack lunches, pick out the kids clothes, pack a diaper bag, etc.). I know it's hard, but once you find the routine that you are okay with, it will all fall into place. Sacrifice and change are very hard to do!
    Here is today's status quote from the Turbo Jam facebook page, which I thought was fitting: "It's all knowing what to start with. If you start in the right place and follow all the steps, you will get to the right end." ~Elizabeth Moon

Also, if you are interested in the Mom's Into Fitness Workouts, I heard that they will be featured on the Babysteals website today. www.babysteals.com They post the new "steals" at 9am mountain/11am Eastern...so in about a half hour from now! They usually feature a good deal on these DVD's!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I work full time, then go home and have to do the "home life", you know, laundry, house work, help kids with homework, fix dinner.... this list could go on and on. I also attend school online as well. But my question is where do I fit in working out more? Right now I walk about 1/2 hour daily with my dog, she can not handle much more then that. I want to do more but some times it just feels like I work, come home and work and then its bed time- ugh! I really want to ramp up my workout but having some diffucultly "finding the time". I know that sounds so cliche but really there IS only so much time in a day and when you are being pulled in so many directions how do you "make time" for yourself and working out? With the days getting colder and it also getting dark sooner its gonna be even harder to get motivated to get out and work out- just curious what others in my situation are doing?
    If you're married with a spouse, get them to cover you other work for 1 hour. Many females put too much responsibility on themselves and let their own physical self go.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    There is a lot of good info from all your answers, THANKS- However to answer just a few questions- my kids go to bed at 9:30 and 10:00 PM- I am not a night person so my bedtime is between 10:00 and 10:30 as well so working out after they go to bed is pretty much out. Besides, when I exercise it tends to take me a bit to wind down to be able to sleep. I have tried working out at night time and it just doesn't work for me, at least late night that is. I have been thinking about my daily routine since posting this and think I may just start working out at the YMCA right after work. My kids go there after school now, so they are there already and will just have to manage the time at home a wee bit better, and there are lots of things to do at the Y. I may have to cut back on walking the dog to about 15 min during the winter time too. She is 11 so I don't think she will mind the shorter walks just as long as she can get out and go walking. She has extra energy the following night if I have skipped the night before. I can not walk to work since I am the "taxi" in the morning taking my kids and a neighbor kid to their schools. My lunch time, well is my lunch time. That is the only "me" time I get during the day and I like spending it at home relaxing and enjoying my lunch. I do try to "put off" as much housework as I can for Saturday mornings and just get it all done at one time but everyone knows there are certain things that just can not wait a full week to clean or get done. Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    There are several work-out ideas in my blog below that: (a) can be done at and around home; (b) with little or no equipment; and (c) can be completed in or around the same 30 minutes that you are walking the dog.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    I get up at 6;15 am, get my daughter up and off to school, drop her off at 7:15, but 7:45 I'm at the gym, work out and I'm home to shower by 8:40, and to work by 9 am. I work out on weekends, so only have to do this 3x a week, but I'll never miss my workout. I love it too much.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Half hour a day for exercise really isn't that bad. I could work out longer, but I find there's no reason to. Most studies show that working out generally has the most benefit in the first 30-60 minutes. So really, as long as you have a half hour a day, you're in pretty good shape, but if you really want more, you only have to try and find a spare 15-30 minutes.

The only time I ever spend more than an hour working out (excluding exercising for fun, like hiking or going for a bike ride) is when I'm doing an extended strength training routine, and that's pretty much because of the necessary rest periods between sets.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    I try to walk 30 minutes on my lunch break and 30 minutes in the evening. If it is raining or too hot or too cold at lunchtime then I try to drive to a nearby mall for my lunchtime walking but of course the short drive time cuts into the amount of time I have to actually walk so it might only be a 15 minute walk instead. Still, 15 minutes is better than no walk. If DH isn't home to help with our son in the evening then sometimes I have to wait to do my evening walk on the treadmill until after I put the toddler to bed (7:30). If you don't have a treadmill though you could do a video after putting the kids in bed.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Im struggling with that too. Ive decided to wake up half in hour earlier and do some sit uos push ups squats lunges and jumping jacks. I am also committing to do 5 40min cardio sessions during the week ( I dont care what type.. it could be walking, and 2 sessions are on the weekened). Im a single mom with twin 7 yr old daughters. Homework laundry. Cooking. Etc, etc, blah blah blah. I also have a boyfriend now who is very helpful. He wakes up when I wake up ( Hed doesnt live with me) He will also come over after work and work out and joke with the kids. I think it helps if you are firm with your children. my children now know that workout time is mommy's time and if they cant do something on their own they need to wait. ( It only 40 min.)

I think you have to reach a point in your life where enough is enough. You are very important! and you should come first in something on a daily basis. Dont worry about the mess, push it to the side, even small kids will be patient. ( I got through college with a full time job and babies ( no support). Your kids will thank you for it and soon so will you!

The work is not just an excuse its legitimately there, but youll have to make a decision on what or WHO is more important and what will happen if you dont make the time.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    You've been given some great advice already. Here's another thought about that housework...can you hire a maid for some general cleaning twice a month? It can really help take some of the housework off you. My ex and I do it since our house is for sale. For not that much a month, we don't have do to much upkeep between her visits (granted, no kids involved).

Also, want to reinforce what others have said. 30-60 minutes a day is plenty of time to workout. You can get an excellent workout in during that time.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    You are really busy.....the 10 minute solution DVDS are great! (I like the Latin dance one). You can either do 10 minutes or more depending on your time, but each segment is 10 minutes. (There are 5 segments per DVD). You can get them at Wal Mart for less then $12 :) depending on which one you want. Good luck!