New Veggies

Options
Hi all! I'm looking for some new veggies to add to my family's meals. Broccoli and cauliflower and red/yellow/orange bell peppers are staples. We have spinach and carrots almost daily and we've found a new love for fresh brussels sprouts and kale. I'm just looking for some more variety. I deas on how to use the vegs would be nice too! Thanks!!

Replies

• hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bok Choy, green beans, bean sprouts, cabbage/napa<
    all great stir fried w/garlic and a touch of soy sauce if desired.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Spagehtti Squash! Yum! Escarole...roasted eggplant. Roasted Green Beans. Roasted Carrots are very yummy!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Broccolini and broccoli rabe, too.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Parsnips, swede, turnip, all good roasted with a spicy Italian herb mix sprinkled over. They make a good substitute for fries as well.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    asparagus - steamed or on grill (tinfoil with some evoo).

Grean Beans - canned or fresh etc. dash of salt and some EVOO.

Chard and Dandelion Greens are great too (not as sharp as Kale)

Bok Choy - raw or steamed or in stir fry

Garlic makes everything taste better...in my opinion.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Escarole sauted in just a bit of olive oil, kalamata olives, garlic, capers, and red pepper flakes.
    Boy choy with fresh ginger, garlic, drop of rice vinegar.
    Yellow and green squash sauted with oregano, olive oil. (my fiance sprinkles grated cheese on his.) Also great in scrambled eggs.
  • corinneselene
    Options
    Saute brussel sprouts with olive oil, turkey bacon, and a drop of maple syrup.
  • cfrock
    cfrock Posts: 37
    Options
    I love roasted/steamed asparagus. My roommate loves baked brussel sprouts, if you're brave! (I'm not. lol)
    Soy beans are a big staple for me. And I love putting tomatoes in my sandwiches and in my eggs.
    I've heard pumpkin lasagna can be really good. I'm going to try to make that now that it's pumpkin season.
    And mushrooms work with everything! Pasta, stir-fry, omelets, pitas/wraps...
    You could try Eggplant Parmesan, too.
    I once had dandelion ravioli. So good!
    Grilled/stir-fried zucchini goes well by itself or in sauces or mixed vegetables.
    Big fan of peas - frozen or otherwise.

Er, sorry for just throwing everything out there. I got a little over-excited. :)
  • corinneselene
    Options
    Obviously, I can keep going... I love veggies
    Broiled portobello mushroom with a teaspoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic slices.
    Fresh corn with salad with roasted tomatoes and basil (more of a summer recipe when things are fresh)
    Broiled asparagus with lemon and parmigiano cheese

I know you said your family likes peppers so I thought you might be interested in stuffed peppers- its a complete meal.
    Red bell peppers top and inner seeds remove
    Cook ground chicken or turkey and mix
    Saute diced carrots, celery and onions
    Cook brown rice.
    Mix all ingredients and add some parmigiano cheese. Stuff in peppers. You can add shredded cheese and fresh tomato sauce if desired and throw in the oven until hot and melty!
    Hope you enjoy
  • cfrock
    Options
    ...we've found a new love for fresh brussels sprouts and kale.

Oh now, you are brave!
  • corinneselene
    Options
    Kale chips are great for a snack since you may have some extra laying around. Mix with olive oil and garlic and throw in oven until crunchy- delicious!
  • cfrock
    Options
    Last one. I found a sweet potato recipe earlier today called Sweet Potatoes with Warm Black Bean Salad

Per serving: 253 calories; 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat, 3 g mono unsaturated fat); 6 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 10 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 880 mg potassium Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (450% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Fiber (38% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (15% dv), Potassium (15% dv).

Ingredients:

4 medium sweet potatoes
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425 degrees F until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)

Meanwhile, in a medium microwaveable bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, oil, cumin, coriander and salt; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)

When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Raw rutabaga cut into sticks and dipped in hummus.
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes! Yummy! Green peas sauteed with olive oil, garlic and onion, salt and pepper.
  • aporshnikoff
    Options
    Raw Veggie-stick tray: jicama, chayote squash, bell peppers, asparagus, celery, broccoli
    Sauteed: kale, pea sprouts, zucchini squash, yellow squash, bok choy, ong choy, mustard greens, chard
    Roasted: eggplant, pumpkin, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, portabella mushrooms
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, thanks guys! I am so excited to try some of these out on my kiddos :)