Started out too fast?

Options
I injured my knee last week and the doc told me that I went into working out too fast and too strong. So for now, I am not allowed to workout until my knee is feeling better and have to start out slow when I start again.

So, how do I start out slow? I had been doing the C25K program and it turns out that that is too much for my body until I lose some more weight. I live in Ohio so pretty soon it will be hard to get outside for a workout. Are there any good DVD workout or workout 'games' for the Kinect that you liked and were able to get some good results? I really want to get back into the swing of things and be able to work out again.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Start by walking. Focus on distance rather than time to start with.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Air boxing is a good cardio workout that doesn't hurt your knees. Put on some good music and just go after it :).
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Dance...a good dance workout will utalize every part of your body, as well as be good cardio, and since most people already dance ometime anyway, it's not a mega shock for the body.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When i started out it was January in Minnesota, i walked laps at the local mall on my lunch break almost everyday, then i incorparted Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and ripped in 30 DVD and borrowed my inlaws stationary bike (an antique , but gets the job done) This summer i began walk/runs and now i am able to run 4 miles straight at a time (probably more than this but scared to try).

Slow and steady wins the race!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    While your knee is recovering, try doing a Google search for chair / wheelchair exercises. I know there are a few videos on YouTube and you should be able to piece together enough for a 20 min workout. Good luck and fast healing to you.
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have also used the C25K program. I love it but instead of doing each session 3 times in a week, I am to do each session 5 times over two weeks so I can really get conditioned (and sometimes bored) with the session before I move on. Even though Week 5 is broken down into 3 sessions within 1 week, I took a week with each. And, so, this means that the 10 week program took me 23 weeks to complete. I didn't mind because my body responded well to it and I never felt like I was overdoing it.

Recently, I have tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It's easy to do with limited space and tools in only 20 minutes a day. Every 10 days you graduate to a new level and because it mixes cardio with weights and abs, you see results quickly and your metabolism gets boosted even when you aren't working out (because you are building muscle). It does involve some jumping jacks, etc. but for a limited time. The DVD is less than $10 and so you might want to try it out!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I broke my leg and had to come back slow too. I used Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's because they were easier on my joints. You can usually find them at the library and check out several different ones so you can find the one that works for you. Now I have a treadmill and I'm having to go slower than I want to because I've got too much weight on my knees too. Remember the tortise and the hare! :happy:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight without any exercise. what you eat/drink is 80% (or more) of the equation. I lost my first 21-23 pounds before I started any exercise. I then started with some cardio for a couple of months before adding resistance training and ultimately HIIT. I added, and then increased the intensity of the exercise, because I wanted the benefits that come with exercise (i.e., getting toned up and improving my cardio health). but I could have continued losing weight without exercise.

for you, I recommend following your doctor's advice. he/she will let you know when its ok to exercise your knee again. for now, focus on your nutrition.
  • mollb
    mollb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix streaming there are some decent yoga and dance exercises available on there that would be good for light cardio.
  • jaydens_momma
    Options
    Thanks!! I have a Zumba 'game' as well as a few Jillian Michaels' DVDs. I also recently bought a Tae Bo DVD. I never thought about looking on Netflix for workouts!