P90X vets

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
For those of you that have completed P90X, how sore/run down did it leave you?

Looks like I'm going to be doing P90X with my girlfriend starting next month. I'm looking forward to changing things up a bit and adding in some weight/strength workouts, but I also want to be able to do the things I enjoy... namely skiing, biking, and running. I'm sure it'll be a shock to my body for the first week or 2, but after that I'm hoping my body adapts and settles in reasonably well. Is it reasonable to think that I could ski for 4-5 hours during the day (or run 4-5 miles or whatever), then do my P90X workout in the evening?

Replies

• mhig011975
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd round of P90X. When I first started the program by whole body was sore. I've droped 24lbs and 3-4 inches off my waist.
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    interested in seeing this because I started looking into p90x and insanity.....

ps. I really enjoyed your signature about looking in the mirror!!! hahaha "how you doin"
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You'll adapt just fine. I would recommend that you keep your calories up, especially the protein. Many people are starting to take a BCAA called Xtend for muscle recovery, you can find it on bodybuilding.com or Amazon. As long as you keep calories up you shouldn't feel run down.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I tried doing P90X last year at this time while maintaining the biking/running for multisport training and it was too much for me.

P90X is 50-60 mins a day minimum and pretty high intensity.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I would recommend that you keep your calories up, especially the protein.
    Yep... triathlon season is over for me, so I'll be tweaking my macro goals over the next couple of weeks... shouldn't be a problem.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I tried doing P90X last year at this time while maintaining the biking/running for multisport training and it was too much for me.
    Yea, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do P90X and *train*... I'm just want to be able to enjoy the activities I love, even if they are at a lighter intensity than they might be during training season.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you keep your calories up
    I was gonna say this. As long as you're eating enough, you shouldn't feel too run down. Sore, probably. Tired, no.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do P90X and *train*... I'm just want to be able to enjoy the activities I love, even if they are at a lighter intensity than they might be during training season.

I really think you'll do just fine.
  • warren1990
    Options
    Week 3 of Round 3 and it is never easy. As i get in better shape i up my weights and work outs and Bring IT!

Down 77 lbs since March.

I have a very busy life so i dont get into the basement till 9 or 10 and then up at 530 for my morning Cardio X.

I also did a 10k first the first time and did it in 52 min with only running once or twice a week to train and the rest came from getting the rest of my body in shape.

Good luck
  • 23ahol
    23ahol Posts: 10
    Options
    To keep down soreness you can use P90X Results and Recovery formula available from beachbody.com.
    Given that you are a triathlete, too tired is probably not something you have to worry about. At least 3 days per week there are workouts or rest days scheduled that will not run you out of energy. Life is a balance, and P90X fits into that balance. I never felt like I didnt have enough energy for other active things I love to do.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    My Husband and I both do/have done P90X a few times. (finishing my 6th round now)

He gets very sore, unless he uses the following. I get some soreness, but not as bad, below supplements do help.

For us, especially my husband, the things that specifically helped with soreness (he is sorer not taking these)

Protein drink after work out. Many brands to choose from. he likes BSN Synth 6, it contains a BCAA blend in the mix (I take Syntha or BSN Dessert)

BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acids) , again many brands to choose from. I like Xtend (watermelon or green apple) - I use it during my workout, in my water.

Creatine with or without BCAAs (husband likes Body Fortress Creatine from Walmart, fruit punch, which has BCAA, I take a calorie free, no flavor, Creatine only product by ON)

Vitacost and Amazon.com have good prices on Xtend, ON Creatine Powder, BSN products.

I don't take P90X recovery drink or supplements.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I trained for races while doing P90X, but what I did was drop one cardio day - and ran instead. I wasn't very sore after the first day or two - plyo especially made me sore the first time. But after that, I was only sore when I did Legs & Back - and I'm still store for a couple days every time I do it.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    For those of you that have completed P90X, how sore/run down did it leave you?

Looks like I'm going to be doing P90X with my girlfriend starting next month. I'm looking forward to changing things up a bit and adding in some weight/strength workouts, but I also want to be able to do the things I enjoy... namely skiing, biking, and running. I'm sure it'll be a shock to my body for the first week or 2, but after that I'm hoping my body adapts and settles in reasonably well. Is it reasonable to think that I could ski for 4-5 hours during the day (or run 4-5 miles or whatever), then do my P90X workout in the evening?

As you said the first week or 2 your body may not like you doing anything else, but after that you should be fine. Especially considering you are a triathlete. What distance do you do? My wife just did the SheRox Tri which was a sprint distance. She is hooked now. I plan on doing tri's next year. Not in any kind of shape at the moment to take them on. So 2012 is my year!!!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i was doing p90x(2 weeks ago before illness)! and was doing at least 1 xtra cardio a day(7 days a week) and even started the couch25k program at the same time!
    hope this helps
    good luck...it does get easier!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    As you said the first week or 2 your body may not like you doing anything else, but after that you should be fine. Especially considering you are a triathlete. What distance do you do? My wife just did the SheRox Tri which was a sprint distance. She is hooked now. I plan on doing tri's next year. Not in any kind of shape at the moment to take them on. So 2012 is my year!!!
    I've done a handful of sprints, did my first olympic this past summer. Next summer I'm hoping for 2-3 olypmics, 1 half ironman, 1 xterra. We'll see though, gotta fit all those in with my kids' schedules and everything else.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Given the shape you're already in- I doubt you'll be too tired to add it to your normal routine.

The point about the calories is what I'd take out of this. When I was doing P90X I wasn't on this site yet and wasn't doing a cut. I had no problem with the workouts. Now that I'm restricting calories, the lifting workouts are much harder. You definitely need to eat to keep up your strength and build muscle through the 90 days.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    If you're already in good shape, which it sounds like you are, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a hiker/rock climber and I've done 5-6 hours climbs, come home and done P90x without any problems. I just tried to not put them on the same day as Plyo or Legs & Back, other than that no problems. I also try to get in a 5k run on most weight lifting days. Now that ski season is here I'm fully planning to do skiing and P90x when I start my 2nd round in a few weeks.

My best suggestion is to make sure you eat enough.
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ditto to much of the above. Best of luck to you!! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts post Round 1!