rapid weight lost.

Options
I signed up with MFP i believe around April or May. I weighed 167 now I am down to a 142. It seems like the right thing to be excited and happy but I know all the weight loss was due to stress because I was not eating at all and a lot has been on my mind so all the weight just fell off. 142 is the weight I wanted to be around anyway I just need help with maintaining it and and toning up because all though the weight is lost I still have fat in my stomach. sometimes I do not feel like eating at all, i can take a bite of something and be full from that or just not be able to eat it at all, im just not hungry. any suggestions.

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Um.... you need to eat. Your post sounds like you just don't sometimes. This is not a healthy practice.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about your physical self- you probably should focus on your mental health. (Said with love- been there, done that!)
    If you're stressed/depressed/ having a hard time with life- you need to focus on getting to a happy place, otherwise you're going to lose too much in not a healthy way.

I wish you the best with this...
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I guess your new goal will be to get healthier. Make little goals for yourself and tackle it one baby step at a time.
  • egreene718
    Options
    Instead of worrying about your physical self- you probably should focus on your mental health. (Said with love- been there, done that!)
    If you're stressed/depressed/ having a hard time with life- you need to focus on getting to a happy place, otherwise you're going to lose too much in not a healthy way.

I wish you the best with this...

You are 100% right. I wont even deny it. I appreciate it, thank you.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Think of your body as the engine of a coal powered locomotive or a wood burning stove, and food as the fuel. If you put in too much at once, the fire dwindles and takes a long time to burn all of the excess fuel. If you go too long without putting in fuel, it dies down to simmering coals. At night, the fire is not fed, so it needs to be restoked in the morning with a moderate supply of fuel to make it burn hotter and hotter. The key is to keep it stoked throughout the day to keep it going while still consuming the fuel as you put it in. By skipping or skimping on meals, your fire almost dies out until you eat again, at which point the fuel is burned slowly and may not be consumed completely.

Hope this helps!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I went thru the SAME thing. I lost a bunch of weight due to stress and I had never looked better. My mental health though suffered quite a bit. What I didn't realize is that even though I was losing weight without exercise, I should have been exercising to help with the mental aspect. Also keep in mind.. if you're anything like me, once the stress is gone, the weight magically reappears overnight.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would do is get your doctor to do a bit of a screen to make sure there isn't something more serious going on that is causing your loss of appetite. Perhaps at the very least they might be able to recommend something for your stress?

In terms of your diet, when you don't have an appetite it can be difficult to eat and when you haven't eaten properly for a while your body will tell you that you are full really quickly. You have to retrain it. This is probably the most achievable by setting times of the day you are going to eat - I'd aim for at least 3 meals and 2-3 snacks each day until you build up your tolerance to food again. If you can only manage small amounts at a time then start with this then gradually build it up. If you are only managing small amounts, try to use nutritious, high calorie foods rather than rubbish or filling but low cal foods.

Oh also, try to at get some exercise, even if it is only light - good appetite stimulant and stress reliever.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not a good way of losing way but now that you have - you need to maintain it!

eat healthy and EXERCISE!!

Eating healthy will give you energy and exercising will help you feel better, and exercise also helps kill stress and makes u feel happy from the inside .. :smile: and soon you'll be healthy and stress freeeeee :flowerforyou:
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You might want to consult your primary care physician to make sure there is no underlying health issue that is causing your loss of appetite. Unfortunately, not eating is not the healthiest way to lose weight. You end up hurting yourself in the long run. If you are not eating enough calories your body will start feeding on itself and the first thing it breaks down is your muscle mass. which in turn lowers your metabolism. It's a vicous cycle. Not to scare you, but if that continues for a long time then it will start using organ tissues to maintain vital functions thus, why many "Annies" die of organ failures.

If there's no underlying medical condition, then I'll suggest you set up a schedule and eat every 3 hrs even if you are not feeling hungry. Try to eat at least 1200 calories don't go below that.

I wish you the best. You are only given one body. Take great care of yourself.
  • egreene718
    Options
    I went thru the SAME thing. I lost a bunch of weight due to stress and I had never looked better. My mental health though suffered quite a bit. What I didn't realize is that even though I was losing weight without exercise, I should have been exercising to help with the mental aspect. Also keep in mind.. if you're anything like me, once the stress is gone, the weight magically reappears overnight.

Your right because now that I am not as stressed as before, i can eat all day lol. I want to keep this weight but i want to learn to maintain it.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Think of your body as the engine of a coal powered locomotive or a wood burning stove, and food as the fuel. If you put in too much at once, the fire dwindles and takes a long time to burn all of the excess fuel. If you go too long without putting in fuel, it dies down to simmering coals. At night, the fire is not fed, so it needs to be restoked in the morning with a moderate supply of fuel to make it burn hotter and hotter. The key is to keep it stoked throughout the day to keep it going while still consuming the fuel as you put it in. By skipping or skimping on meals, your fire almost dies out until you eat again, at which point the fuel is burned slowly and may not be consumed completely.

Hope this helps!
    great explanation and visual.
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are the foods you do eat healthy foods? It's important for your body to get bare minimum 1200 calories. If eating full meals it too much try juicing, fruit & veggies, and protein shakes with added fruits or veggies. Do you exercise? Exercise will help with your stress levels. It may also boost your appetite a little. If you want to tone up I'd suggest some strength training. 30 Day Shred is an excellent DVD by Jillian Michaels. Another great stress reliever is Hatha Yoga, it is a lot of stretching and holding poses makes it have some toning qualities. Sometimes a hard work out where you can pour all your frustration out can be a wonderful thing. Best of luck to you on your journey to become the healthiest you!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp same time as you, and wasn't stressed out so ate 'sensibly' I have lost almost 65 lbs, reached my target weight , but guess what? the buddha belly is showing no signs of going away. you must eat, and eat good, nutritious food. my relationship with food is appalling.. image up empty calories with crap food, such is my addiction to junk food. perhaps we can learn form each other? there is very sound advice from people on this thread.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

Love this!!!