HEEEEEELP!

Options
I want to make some authentic curry and everything calls fro coconut milk. And i just googled it, and it has tons of calories! DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR AN ALTERNATIVE? I really want curry tonight

Replies

• kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Half fat coconut milk. Just as yummy half the cals. or water down what you already have,
  • laurenlind
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a light coconut milk if there is one close to you. Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try coconut water.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google for coconut milk substitute and this looked helpful although I am not sure about the calories. Good luck!!!

1 cup Milk (whole or low-fat) OR yogurt OR evaporated skim milk

½ teaspoon Coconut extract
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If Indian curry look for a tomato based Bombay curry recipe. I only have experience of coconut milk being used in Thai curry and personally, when i made my own previously the coconut milk was not too bad in terms of calories 680 for a 400ml can. Over the 8 servings i got from my Thai green curry it is not too bad:

General - Green Thai Curry Paste, 30 g 20 6 0 0 0 0
    Raw - Brocoli (Grams), 500 g 153 29 0 12 0 12
    Peppers - Sweet, yellow, raw, 1 pepper, large (3-3/4" long, 3" dia) 50 12 0 2 0 2
    Carrots - Raw, 2 large (7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long) 59 14 0 1 0 4
    Amoy - Rich & Creamy Coconut Milk, 400 ml 680 12 68 6 0 4
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw, 500 g 550 0 6 115 2 0
    Generic - Peeled Prawns , 50 g 33 0 0 6 0 0
    Generic - Glass Tap Water, 2 glass 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Onions - Raw, 3 medium (2-1/2" dia) 139 33 0 3 0 5
    Mushrooms - Raw, 400 g 88 13 1 12 0 5
    Courgette - Courgette, 100 g 18 2 0 2 0 1
  • FarahMohammed
    Options
    instead of a coconut milk base make it a tomato base itll taste just as indian
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love Thai Curry..... Thai is one of my favorite foods. Anyway.... here's a link to a low cal recipe that sounds good. Haven't tried it, but I think I will. Now you have me in the mood for some Thai Curry!!!!

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/poultrydishes/r/Thaichickcurry.htm
  • bbwceo1019
    bbwceo1019 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soy milk - light. Last forever in your frig & I like the way it taste w/ cereal better then milk. I also use it in hamburger helper, tuna helper, sauces, ect.
  • coffeequeen23
    Options
    I'm not sure it would be fantastic, but you could use coconut water as a substitute. Vita Coco 100% coconut water is 45 calories for an 8.5 fl. oz. drink. Usually the coconut milk is used as a thickener in addition to providing flavor. Your curry might just be a little runny if you use coconut water.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Try coconut water.

Coconut water is NOTHING like coconut milk.

While coconut milk is high-fat (150 cal per 1/3 cup), lite coconut milk is only 50 cals per 1/3 cup. If you get a good brand (like Trader Joes) you will not notice any difference in flavor. I use it all the time.
    I did a quick google for coconut milk substitute and this looked helpful although I am not sure about the calories. Good luck!!!

1 cup Milk (whole or low-fat) OR yogurt OR evaporated skim milk

½ teaspoon Coconut extract

While this might approximate the FLAVOR of coconut milk, it has nowhere near the nutritional properties. Stick to coconut milk - it's healthier for you.
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I use soy milk, but I buy the light vanilla because I liek the taste
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    thanks, guess Im just gonna use coconut milk. Not gonna lose taste and as long as i have a ton of veggies on the side, i still get it and dont have a ton of calories
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    well I used lite coconut milk and even though it tasted fantastic, it didnt have the right mouthfeel, if that makes sense. i think I will do half lite coconut milk and half maybe plain yogurt next time for a richer feel
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with light coconut milk - if you read the ingredients list you will see that you are just getting regular coconut milk watered down then thickened up with some kind of starch.
    And definitley don't bother with coconut flavoured evaporated milk - it is NASTY! Very artificial tasting.
    I think it is better to use real coconut milk but just reduce the quantity if you want to reduce the calories.
    By the way, coconut milk freezes very well so you can buy a can of the real stuff, use a little bit and freeze the rest in ice cube trays or mini ziplock bags for next time.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with light coconut milk - if you read the ingredients list you will see that you are just getting regular coconut milk watered down then thickened up with some kind of starch.
    Not always true - which is why I suggested getting a GOOD brand.

- properly done, lite coconut milk is made from the second pressing of the coconut flesh. It results in a milk with only 50% of the fat (thus 1/3 of the calories) but still has a distinct coconut flavor and creaminess.

- other brands, will use either a third pressing or as you stated, remove fat and starch it up.

- if you are talking about coconut milk BEVERAGE (like almond milk), that is not even the same thing. It is further watered down and doctored so that it is similar in taste, texture and calories to almond and soy milks. It shouldn't be used for cooking.
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    Not always true - which is why I suggested getting a GOOD brand.

- properly done, lite coconut milk is made from the second pressing of the coconut flesh. It results in a milk with only 50% of the fat (thus 1/3 of the calories) but still has a distinct coconut flavor and creaminess.

- other brands, will use either a third pressing or as you stated, remove fat and starch it up.

- if you are talking about coconut milk BEVERAGE (like almond milk), that is not even the same thing. It is further watered down and doctored so that it is similar in taste, texture and calories to almond and soy milks. It shouldn't be used for cooking.

I got a good brand and it was yummy, just lacked the fullness I am used to, though still delicious
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. You want AUTHENTIC curry and if it's a high calorie dish then so be it. Make it as is and enjoy it. If you're going to eat it a lot then you should consider reducing calories somehow but realizing that it's not how it's supposed to be made. :smile: Either way I wish I could have some