New here, looking for motivation

Options
Hi, I'm new here and am looking for people who can help motivate and give me helpful weight loss information. I'm 32, weight 128 and want to lose 10lbs.....the problem is I've been trying to lose it for a decade. I seem to have a tough time losing this flabby fat, it's a total nuisance. I workout 3 times a week for 30-60 minutes and watch my diet.....but I have sugar cravings galore. What I'm trying to figure out is what type of exercise is best for me, am I eating to much or to little.....I am starting to think I need to eat more. Cardio seems to not be doing anything for me and some of the cardio I do is hard (Turbofire 55 minute workout burns 930 calories with me). I hate cardio and prefer weight training or walking.....but I just need some direction on what I should be doing. Any info. would help.Thanks

Replies

• mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to MFP, it is a fabulous place to be, and the people are generally lovely. ^_^

I will readily admit that I have no formal training and often may not know what I am talking about, (I try to be good about pointing that out...) but I can try to help if you like?

People have often said the last ten are hard, and generally, they are. I am within that range myself (...at least I think so, my scale is being a bit wonky, so who knows?!) and find there is a WHOLE lot of effort going on for often minimal gain.

I have read various suggestions on MFP: 'eat exercise cals', 'NEVER eat your exercise calories', 'Switch up your routine', 'Find something that works and stick with it'... You see where this is going. It is very much an individual thing, but taking the time, and having the patience to find what works for you is a huge part of the effort, and it is completely worth it.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to calculate your caloric burn with things like TurboFire? I have not done that one, nor do I know what kind of stuff it comprises, but are you using a Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap, or without, or a formula somewhere? I ask simply because I find there are often rather glaring discrepancies between the various methods of calculating calories burnt.

Weight training is good - and something I need to do more of - and walking is a reasonable form of cardio depending on if it is a walk or a stroll - though for those last ten it may not be enough. Perhaps mixing up the cardio - some biking, or swimming, running if you can tolerate it, or some time on an elliptical in the gym..?

Feel free to add me as a friend if my rambling has not totally irked you or made me out as a nutcase. ^_^
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply. And I agree with you I need to slowly figure out what will work for me. I am certainly doing something wrong I just have to figure out what. I am using a heart rate monitor w/o th chest strap. I register my heart rate about every 1-2 minutes when working out. I don't know how fully accurate it is, but it seems to be pretty close when I checked it with a heart rate monitor on my treadmill. I think I need to start eating more protein at every meal and maybe eat more calories if I am burning a lot on my workout days. We'll see what happens.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    try the sprint interval training I describe in my blog below.
  • janamuma
    Options
    :smile: Hello! I am in the EXACT same boat as you! Same weight, hate cardio, etc. I work out at least 3 times a week at the gym but it wasn't working. I just got a trainer now. She is wonderful and I can see the flab going away already....

Happy to share some things she told me or some of our workouts if you want.

Take care,
    jana
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks, I would love some insider trainer tips. Trainers know more than most people when it comes to exercise/diet and sometimes it is just little things that make a big difference. :happy:
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The last 10 were by far the hardest for me! Here's what helped me - weight training, eating more protein and CAREFULLY controling my intake. I've always hated cardio but try to do a moderate amount in the form of walking, hiking or kayaking.