For the ladies!

Options
So, I'm noticing two things...

1.) I have learned that I "think" it's acceptable to eat whatever I want for my time of the month...normally I don't crave sweet things or want anything that's not really salty or such but the past week (esp with in the the past couple of days) I've literally lost count of all the lil nibbles I've ate and such.

2.) I can't stay on track for the weekends!!! I've tried so hard this past weekend, and started out doing pretty good with Saturday-except I went nuts with a bag for curtons! Yum Yum!! I thought it was better than going back for seconds on a pasta or maybe I did go back for seconds on the pasta!?!?!

So, advice time...women-how to stay on track with those cravings during the cycle? How do I pinch those cravings and STILL not want to punch someone in the face for eating ice-cream in front of me while I eat my English muffin??? And what's the best way to stay on track during the weekend? I've come a long ways but it's taken me a great deal of time to get here (I've been trying since 2009 & to be honest, I don't feel like anyone that sees me these days actually realizes that I've lost the weight or at least they don't say anything to me about. One person said something to someone else and they told me but that doesn't really count to me, I'd like for people to actually be able to see a difference when they look at me! So, I want to pick this up and STOP with the excuses on weekend and cycle habits!)

Replies

• Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    So, I'm noticing two things...

1.) I have learned that I "think" it's acceptable to eat whatever I want for my time of the month...normally I don't crave sweet things or want anything that's not really salty or such but the past week (esp with in the the past couple of days) I've literally lost count of all the lil nibbles I've ate and such.

2.) I can't stay on track for the weekends!!! I've tried so hard this past weekend, and started out doing pretty good with Saturday-except I went nuts with a bag for curtons! Yum Yum!! I thought it was better than going back for seconds on a pasta or maybe I did go back for seconds on the pasta!?!?!

So, advice time...women-how to stay on track with those cravings during the cycle? How do I pinch those cravings and STILL not want to punch someone in the face for eating ice-cream in front of me while I eat my English muffin??? And what's the best way to stay on track during the weekend? I've come a long ways but it's taken me a great deal of time to get here (I've been trying since 2009 & to be honest, I don't feel like anyone that sees me these days actually realizes that I've lost the weight or at least they don't say anything to me about. One person said something to someone else and they told me but that doesn't really count to me, I'd like for people to actually be able to see a difference when they look at me! So, I want to pick this up and STOP with the excuses on weekend and cycle habits!)

SAME EXACT problem!!

Waiting to hear back on this one...
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I try so hard on my period and I can control it!
    I need to have a little bit of chocolate!
  • geogal95
    geogal95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that I keep snacks like that OUT of my house and on weekends I just stay busy busy busy! It helps me to not have those "I'm bored" snacks. Always keep a granola bar handy just in case... Good luck!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    With the cravings....I force myself to drink TONS of water. Like 12 glasses a day. That seems to help. And I also allow myself to eat some junk--but only in 200 cal portions.
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    200 cal portions. Do you guys eat more on weekends than weekdays?
  • betfos
    betfos Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer!!! My cravings are outrageous a week before my period but as soon as I start I'm back to normal.
  • Jenspo
    Jenspo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try to stay busy on the weekends. More activity=less eating. It helps when you aren't surrounded by food.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i don't have the TOM thing anymore, so I can't help with that. I do have the weekend issue though. My husband tends to think i'm not eating enough, so almost to :prove: to him that i'm eating enough, i tend to overeat when he's here! This past weekend, i just made a point to make sure i was eating what i knew i needed, and nothing more. i'm rarely hungry with the amount of food i have to eat to get to my calories. if i do get hungry though, i drink a big glass of water, and wait about 10 minutes. if i'm still hungry, i find a little snack! something reasonably good for me though!!

Good luck, and congrats on your progress thus far! :-)
  • xochi71
    xochi71 Posts: 33
    Options
    Friday thru sunday are my worst days!!!!! Especially since I am the only female in the house my men go crazy for food. recently I found that if my hubby can cook for us on wednesdays and thrusdays I agree to cook on Fridays. For example, this past friday I made tacos. there was enough extra for meat omletes, tacos for lunch and burritos for dinner. then on Sunday I cooked again and we had leftovers for Monday.So now my hubby cooks tuesday, wednesday and thursday. It seems to help me keep my weekend calories under control. Good Luck!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I know that this won't work for everyone ... but my day is planned out before I even wake up of what I'm going to eat that day. I stick to it, no ifs ands or buts. My only vice is gum.. sugar free gum. I keep three different flavours and a few packs of each and whenever I want 'something' I have a piece of gum. You get the flavour, and the chewing sensation.
    I also drink at least 16 cups of water a day.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    I don't crave anything more when im on the rag. i just crave ALL the time and to me, thats the same thing. its just as hard when having my period. this is one problem i dont have ! lol wow!! yay. i didnt know it existed. but the weekend thing, yes. we go have dinner with my inlaws on sundays at their house and i swear, she puts out muffins and crap like that on purpose and then laughs when i eat 2, knowing i will gain weight and she will always be skinnier. B&^%(!! I DO alow myself a little flexibility though so the hubby and i can have dinner together or something like that. maybe an icecream treat together. the 1/2 the fat ice cream is really yummy. The thinkg to remember is that you have to have a calorie deficite of 3500?? i think to lose a lb in a week. so think about that before you eat a package of cream cheese with that bagel. thats what helps me. plus you can walk it off. that will give you some cals to use later. also, someit es if i need to, i skip breakfast, and eat lunch around 12 or 1. then have a snack around 3 or 4 and then dinner. that leaves me with a lot of cals to munch on if i need to.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I find substitutes that are less calories/healthier that satisfy the craving.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thinking about this more...SERIOUSLY drink lots of water! I think the reason it works is it makes your stomach *full* and you don't want to intake any more...

Idk if you crave chocolate, but I do and I get those Lindt truffles--each one is like 70 cals and only like 3 g of sugar....

When I crave salt I get the planters Cajun trail mix...So damn good. But I can reasonably portion it!
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you take a few bites cause of hormones forgive yourself and go do some stairs lol Nothing can really be done. My hormones don't effect my cravings so I'm lucky. Weekends are harder but I simply keep super track and stay busy. Try and find healthy alternatives to bad snack bites when hormone cravings hit you. A handful of coco puffs instead of a candy bar.. Neither good for you but guarantess less your hands are huge get way less calories.. Buy healthier chips. Try and keep as much junk food away from you as possible but keep lots of healthier snacks about. If not hungry and just want food your bored.. Get a fufilling hobby... Maybe something new like video games or rpg or writing or shooting hoops or puzzles or volunteer work.. Use your imagination.. Only you know you. Best of luck
  • Brittanymetzner
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

I hear what you're screaming...I scream that too! I have found that for the whole "my time of the month thing" that if I buy the chocolate, and measure it out into small (keyword is SMALL) portions in individual bags, I can keep control of what I'm putting in my mouth. I also allow myself to eat every single one of my calories (even the exercise ones) during that week. I will have a few bags of 5 hershey kisses or whatever, ready for those "eat the chocolate or kill a busload of nuns" moments. I have a rule, if I bite it, I write it. whether in my diary or here on MFP. If I have to look at and admit to what I really eat, it helps me not go postal at the chinese buffet... As for the weekends. I try to only eat out or socially once per weekend. If I'm eating at home, I will take the time during the weekend to prepare something I really like and stay within my boundaries. When I eat out, I go to the website ahead of time and decide what I will be ordering (although other people's Texas Cheese Fries are like CRACK...) It's hard, no matter how you look at it. Try to keep a sense of humor, I found that helpful. I laugh at the reality of this process, and all of the funny side effects ir produces...it's laugh or cry...now I need the chocolate...ugh.
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    For me, I have to up my protein intake during that time. If I have anything processed, I will crave sugar. I noticed you said you would have an engish muffin when others are having ice-cream. For me, that carb itself would hit the bloodstream and I would get an insulin spike which in turn would send signals to my brain saying GIMME MORE SUGAR....vicious little cycle. It's all trial and error. Everyone is different for how their bodies react to food. So, in a nutshell, I up my protein, have lots of veggies cut up and ready to eat, keep up the workouts, drink lots of water. If I'm craving like a mad woman, I'll have a couple of squares of good dark chocolate with a nice cup of coffee. Fun being a woman during that time, isn't it? LOL....God help the world if we all got on the same cycle date...Hahahaha.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Well, for my PMS I got medicated. It has helped greatly w/ the cravings as it balances out my hormones. I also drink my water when I am craving something. The weekends are rough on me as well but all you can do is keep at it and TRY to make this coming weekend BETTER than the last. I also set daily goals and really try to plan out my food for the day and stick with it.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week where it doesn't matter what or how much I eat (Saturday or Sunday - depends which day I'm tailgating) but I will workout harder on those days to help make up for my "cheating". By having a "cheat day", I don't have issues with my cravings because I know that one day a week I will be able to have it. It also helps because when I eat like crap, I feel like crap, and it reminds me why I'm doing this in the first place.

I don't have too much trouble with what I eat at that time of the month. I will allow myself 1 piece of chocolate if needed when I'm having a really bad day. I don't keep snacky stuff in the house. I never have (except this week because we were supposed to have a tailgate/picnic that got cancelled).
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like anyone that sees me these days actually realizes that I've lost the weight or at least they don't say anything to me about. One person said something to someone else and they told me but that doesn't really count to me, I'd like for people to actually be able to see a difference when they look at me!

According to your ticker, you've lost 68 pounds? I promise you, people have noticed your weight loss. PROMISE. I have almost 150 pounds to lose and I've lost 15 so far and it's weirdly (barely but is) noticeable. Perhaps people don't want to say anything for fear you'll think they thought you were fat before or something.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do I have found for me is 1) stay busy 2) drink plenty of water, (if I have a craving I drink a glass of water if I am still craving I try eating a salad, but if its sweets I want I go for a fruit smoothie and if that still doesn't work try half a cookie) I don't like to deprive myself of little indulgences because that will lead to binging one day!