Oatmeal....I want to eat it, but its nasty. What should I do

Options
meemo88
meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
Hi,

I really want to start eating oatmeal as breakfast but its just so gross. What can I mix in it to make it taste good? Don't tell me honey cuz thats nasty too. I like chocolate flavor things, maybe peanut butter, i dont know....

i just want it under 200 cals bcz that is how much i eat for breakfast usually....

any ideas you guys have will be welcome.

Thanks! =)

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you get used to the taste.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I went an bought Oatmeal (chocolate chip). It's yummy:tongue:

It's only 160 calories.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat it if it's nasty? Just don't eat it. Eat something you enjoy instead.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love the maple and brown sugar packets. Very very tasty stuff
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Add like a half tsp of peanut butter..mmm. SO also adds a sunny side up egg in his for a more savory oatmeal.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Don't cook it and add it to yogurt.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    If you don't like oatmeal, don't eat it. (Crazy, I know)

There's nothing magical about oatmeal (or any other single food, for that matter).
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    try slow cooking Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal. Has a better texture (in my opinion).

try some cinnamon, agave or stevia on it, and maybe some berries. good stuff!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it with a 20 cal hot cocoa packet?
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I am with ya! I want to eat oatmeal, but think it is purely awful!!!! For me it's a texture thing, so there's no hope, haha. Good luck!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    A little brown sugar does wonders! Add a few raisins, craisins or blueberries - yum

PS: make sure you get regular old fashioned or steel cut, the instant stuff is just paste.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can give oat bran a try. The texture is alot better to me . I could not eat oatmeal daily but I like oat bran.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Or you could just not eat it and find something else to eat for breakfast.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat it if it's nasty? Just don't eat it. Eat something you enjoy instead.

I'm with him... just because it is all the rage, if you don't like it... don't eat it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Make it with milk (or soy milk) and add a little brown sugar and cinnamon. A teaspoon is 15 calories.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Cinnimon, Splenda, Smart Balance Spread........but if you don't like oatmeal then what's the use in masking the dish, it's still oatmael.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    For me, the way that I cook it makes a huge difference, because the texture varies... if you normally mix it with water and then cook it in the microwave, try heating water and then adding it to the oatmeal (or vice versa), and you may like it better... also, some people prefer "real" oatmeal instead of instant (personally I am okay with instant, but again, personal preference). And also, add some yumminess to it-- I like brown sugar, apples, raisins, etc...

But if you really hate it, as others said, you don't have to eat it. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can give oat bran a try. The texture is alot better to me . I could not eat oatmeal daily but I like oat bran.

Agreed. I like oat bran better. I make mine with soy milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and peanut butter. But it's slightly more than 200 calories made that way (although it keeps me full from about 8 a.m. to about 2 p.m., so it's worth it).
  • Annette1334
    Options
    i use yogert instead of milk and nuts
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Pretend the spoon is an airplane, coming in for a landing on the runway that is your tongue.