Oatmeal....I want to eat it, but its nasty. What should I do

Options

Replies

• 200 calories is so low for breakfast... breakfast should ideally be your largest meal of the day, and the most carb-heavy to fuel you throughout the day. Don't buy packets of oatmeal because they are super processed and sugar filled. You can really make oatmeal so delicious, as I do every morning! Buy the big canister of 100% rolled oats (they're like $2-$3! and will last for weeks), use anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup, crack in an egg white or 2, some milk of your choice, cinnamon or any spice, splenda, and a fruit that is good warmed up. I use a banana or an apple. I also throw in chia seeds or flax seeds to make it even more healthy. Microwave it all together, and when it comes out of the microwave i top it with sugar free pancake syrup and a spoon of natural peanut butter. It's under 400 calories, and keeps me full (even after my 4-6 mile morning runs!) until my lunch at 1. SO GOOD!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal w/ sliced banana & milk. I add a tablespoon of freshly ground almond butter in my bowl...soooo good! Although if it's more of a texture thing, maybe oatmeal isn't for you (?) It took me awhile to get used to the texture, but I really enjoy a nice bowl of oats!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    fun fact- our opinions on taste are very plastic. Eat anything for long enough, with an open mind and I bet you won't mind the taste
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    swiss miss or PB2... but yeah, I don't really like it, so I skip it..I used to try and choke it down but nahh...
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Use it on your face like a mask...heard its good for your pores
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you can't stand it...find something else. I feel the same way about cottage cheese or tuna...I WISH I liked them, but they both just gross me out too much and there's nothing I'm going to do to make that change.

There are plenty of other healthy filling breakfast items.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have seriously cut down on the amount of food I eat, so if I am eating something, you can bet it is something I like. Why waste calories on something you don't like?!
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Try to add some natural granola....I didn't like Oatmeal before, but now I love it, also it could be the brand your getting, try Quaker, and if you still hate it, grits is a great thick on the go breakfast alternative. Good Luck!!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Get better oatmeal. I'm not a big oatmeal fan either, but If you buy the good stuff, put a little maple or brown sugar on it, some dried fruits... delicious.

Also, various coffee shops sell premade natural oatmeals that are pretty damn good.

Stay away from the instant oatmeal if you can, its LOADED with sugar. If you do eat it, get the lower sugar kind.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    http://www.betteroats.com/oats/lavish/dark_chocolate/

Dark chocolate oatmeal... Was 99 cents for a 5 pack and only 160 calories per pouch when I picked it up...
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat oatmeal. But if you're determined... maybe try some lower calorie baked oatmeal recipies? I like eating that stuff cold best. It ends up more like a dense 'muffin' cold.

Use whatever fruit sounds good, you just don't want it too squishy. I prefer blueberries, but I know some folks do peaches, bananas, etc.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Good amounts of butter and brown sugar make it fantastic!

No, but seriously, I dig the stuff plain. maybe a smidge of Splenda, honey or maple syrup. I like it nice and thick too, not soupy.

Personally, it does not make me feel any fuller than a bowl of cereal or an egg.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat Oatmeal. I despise oatmeal. If Oatmeal was a person I'm pretty sure it would be my evil twin.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    because its healthy and it keeps you full for long!!
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    try slow cooking Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal. Has a better texture (in my opinion).

try some cinnamon, agave or stevia on it, and maybe some berries. good stuff!

I agree!! I add honey, cinnamon and flax seeds to mine!!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    because its healthy and it keeps you full for long!!

So does Celery, less calories even ;-) If that was the only reason to choose to eat a food we should all just be munching on celery all the time!

I like a variety. Oatmeal sometimes would be okay, but I couldn't do it daily. I'd never stick to it. I do find steel cut is easier to eat then the mush slimey stuff.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Heh heh, I use to feel that way about cottage cheese - couldn't get past the whole texture thing. Really grossed me out and I wouldn't eat it for years. Then one day tried it again with stevia, lemon, and frozen blueberries... suddenly the texture didn't matter anymore.

I use to LOVE tuna... and it's now one of those foods I tend to avoid. Can't get over the fishy smell, no matter what I put in/on it.

If you can't stand it...find something else. I feel the same way about cottage cheese or tuna...I WISH I liked them, but they both just gross me out too much and there's nothing I'm going to do to make that change.

There are plenty of other healthy filling breakfast items.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Try greek yogurt

Most excellent choice!!!! I was really shocked by greek yogurt.. I don't like yogurt but some of the really creamy greek yogurts I like a lot... ESPECIALLY FROZEN FOR A FEW HOURS>>>>>>>MMMMMMMMMMMM.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I add some 60% cacao chocolate chips to mine, sometime I will add a packet of stevia for more sweetness. If I dont' do that I add cinnamon and sugar.

I also found a recipe I haven't tried yet but it sounds good, you add non fat greek yogurt, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and fresh blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries to it. Sounds Yummy!!!