Headaches and food?

Options
Ok i get headaches at least once a day.. Could it be from what im eating or not eating? Im not a healthy eater at least not since today!:blushing: lol.. What should i or should i not be eating? And does this have anything to do with my headaches??Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    Ok i get headaches at least once a day.. Could it be from what im eating or not eating? Im not a healthy eater at least not since today!:blushing: lol.. What should i or should i not be eating? And does this have anything to do with my headaches??Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • lovely78
    lovely78 Posts: 8
    Options
    1. Are they allergies/sinuses?

2. Are you drinking enough water? Headaches can be a sign of dehydration.

3. How long have the headaches been occurring?
  • buffjess
    Options
    Not allergies ive never really had a problem in that area..As far as water, no i dont drink enough..maybe a bottle a week..im trying to do better..I have had them for about 2 years
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I am a migraine sufferer and have the same problem with some foods. be very caerful eating food that has MSG. Some things that affect me do not affect my mother or grandma. Keep track of what you eat and I might be able to help you figure out what is causing it. Some of my triggers are
    Doriots
    pringles
    microwave popcorn
    just to name a few. Let me know if I can help more.:drinker:
    Were in your head are they (front Back , neck)?
  • ggooding12
    Options
    Could be a sign that you are anemic also.
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had a headache everyday for one year in highschool... I needed glasses! I have really good eyesight, but when it came to distances like driving and the chalkboard, I was squinting just enough to cause tension :)
  • buffjess
    Options
    Well it could, but I have hemochromotosis..my blood stores too much iron
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    [and drink more water!]

:)
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink more water. I get headaches when I haven't drank enough H2O! some of my food triggers for tension headaches and migraines include:
    MSG, artificial sweeteners, and not drinking enough water!!:drinker:
  • buffjess
    Options
    Thanks Yall!! Believe it or not I just drank a bottle of water, and no ,more headache!!! Guess water is good after all!!! lol:drinker:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    No one here is going to be able to tell you what your headaches are from. They could be from any number of things. You could be dehydrated (you said you don't drink enough water, definitely start there). It could be stress. It could be your vision. It could be hormones. It could be the lighting. It could be allergies. It could be the way the moon is aligning with Aquarius.

If you suspect it might be food related, try this... at the bottom of the food tab here there is a section for "food notes". When you feel a headache coming on, note the time, where you are, and what you are doing in this section. After a week or so, go back through and see if you can find a pattern. You're already recording what you eat, so that part is done. Does it happen when you eat a certain kind of food, or when you are in a particular place or doing a particular thing? You'll find your answer soon enough.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I was going to post something about headaches and food, too!! But mine is a little different ... (and I think if you up your water, you might see a difference ... if not, I agree, maybe a little bit cleaner eating?)

My question is - how do y'all deal with migraines? Fat me eats a carb-heavy meal, drinks a huge caffeinated drink and goes to bed. Skinny me hasn't figured out the right answer.

Anyone else?

Feel better buffjess!!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I was going to post something about headaches and food, too!! But mine is a little different ... (and I think if you up your water, you might see a difference ... if not, I agree, maybe a little bit cleaner eating?)

My question is - how do y'all deal with migraines? Fat me eats a carb-heavy meal, drinks a huge caffeinated drink and goes to bed. Skinny me hasn't figured out the right answer.

Anyone else?

Feel better buffjess!!

My migranes have an early warning system... I start to lose my vision (like pieces will be missing from what I see). If I take an Excedrin Migraine before the pain hits, then the pain never comes and after a good long nap I usually feel right as rain.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    No one here is going to be able to tell you what your headaches are from. They could be from any number of things. You could be dehydrated (you said you don't drink enough water, definitely start there). It could be stress. It could be your vision. It could be hormones. It could be the lighting. It could be allergies. It could be the way the moon is aligning with Aquarius.

If you suspect it might be food related, try this... at the bottom of the food tab here there is a section for "food notes". When you feel a headache coming on, note the time, where you are, and what you are doing in this section. After a week or so, go back through and see if you can find a pattern. You're already recording what you eat, so that part is done. Does it happen when you eat a certain kind of food, or when you are in a particular place or doing a particular thing? You'll find your answer soon enough.

Great reply!! I would also ask what your caffeine consumption is like. Do you drink alot of coffee, tea or coke products. Too much caffeine or withdrawing from caffeine can cause headaches.

Keep those notes as suggested above.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    If you are trying to stop drinking caffine all together and just now started getting headaches it could be from caffine withdrawls.
  • JMAMA
    Options

/quote]

For me there really is no remedy for a migraine, but when I start feeling the tingling sensation, and see the aura, I immediately pop 800mg of ibuprofen, and chug cold, black, strong coffee, then i just try to sleep it off. uggh they are awful-i know there is a bunch of stuff on the market for them, but they don't work for me. The best thing i used was a preventative anti-seizure med topomax-it worked amazingly well, and on the plus side one of the side effects is weightloss:wink: I don't take it anymore, i want to be off prescriptions in case i get prego! Oh, and pregnancy for me caused migraines also. the whole first trimester. i missed so many days of work-i can't usually see when i have them and driving is not a good idea.
  • JMAMA
    Options
    oops i posted funny...
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Fat me Skinny me~~

I take two pills...
    Lay down with a heating pad on my head... and sleep!!!

Its usually gone by the time i wake up.

if not take two more pills... then it's gone
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    I usually get headaches when I'm caffeine deprived. Hunger sometimes triggers it too.
  • RAENLUKE
    RAENLUKE Posts: 17
    Options
    I get headaches alot too. I find that if I eat too much salt I suffer worse. Probably the whole dehydration factor! If you don't like water try ways to jazz it up like orange/lime/lemon slices until you get used to it. Gotta have the water.