calories burned for Couch to 5K

Options
How do you put calories burned for Couch to 5K?

Replies

• inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How do you put calories burned for Couch to 5K?

I'm curious, too. You can't just calculate your time walking and then your time running and enter them seperately, because your heartrate is still elevated when you're walking..
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi! I use measuring tools online to figure out the distance I went. Then, I use the time it takes to complete the run and figure out how fast I went (I usually go about 4.5 miles per hour overall). I then use MFP to log it as moving 4.5 mph for the length of time for the run/walk and MFP tells me how many I burn!

I use google maps (You can turn on a measuring tool that lets you plot your course and tells you how far you went) to get my distance...

If you want something more accurate, you'll want a heart rate monitor :)
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have a smart phone> try the Imapmyfitness app. At first I used what the treadmill calculated but got a HRM and it was 100 cals higher than the treadmill..invest in a heart rate monitor!
  • RebBarnes
    RebBarnes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't use a heart rate monitor. I have endomondo on my phone and it tracks distance and speed on my runs. That way at the end of the run I know how far I went and how long. I do it that way so that I can account for the speed walking. I have also used the fit bit. I loved it! Until I broke it. LOL
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I doubt I have been doing it right but this is how I do it.
    I log in the time I run (aprox 5.5 mph) then I log in the time I walk (aprox 4 mph). Then when the calories are tallied, I only eat back 1/2 of them, because I think it is a huge over exageration of what I actually burn. I don't have a HRM.

week 9 day 1, run 30 min walk 10 min. plus week 6 day 2, run 20, walk 13

50 min run = 1333 cals + 23 min walk = 173
    Total = 1506, usually leave 600 to 900 calories