Oatmeal....I want to eat it, but its nasty. What should I do

Options

Replies

• sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Try mixing it with a 20 cal hot cocoa packet?

Great idea! Never thought of that one! I usually add semi-sweet chocolate chips to my oatmeal or plain cream of wheat ..
    1 tablespoon of chocolate chips is 70 calories (Nestle brand)
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    http://www.betteroats.com/oats/lavish/dark_chocolate/

Dark chocolate oatmeal... Was 99 cents for a 5 pack and only 160 calories per pouch when I picked it up...

I saw these at Big Lots - love them! I also picked up the Chai-Spiced and the Strawberries & Cream flavors... I mix a little bit of vanilla almond milk in with them and they are great! I like these when I don't have time to make Irish oatmeal.
  • ajdj0486
    ajdj0486 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    not a huge fan either, until I tried the old fashioned oats. texture is way better. Make it with milk, add some sort of dried fruit, add some pecans or almonds, and a little bit of brown sugar. It's really tasty! I've tried adding peanut butter, but it wasn't peanut buttery enough, and the texture was kind of gross. Oh, and I agree with whoever said to eat more than 200 calories... unless you're eating 6 meals a day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It jumpstarts your metabolism!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Texture is really important for me. I really like steel cut oats (these cook for 20 minutes) - the texture is almost chewy.

Instant oats are like eating baby food - blech! These are the "just add boiling water & stir" variety

Old Fashioned (AKA rolled oats) - these are thicker instant oats - the texture is heartier. These are the ones you cook for 5 minutes.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I do find steel cut is easier to eat then the mush slimey stuff.

I can't stand the slimy stuff. Yuck. Its all about the texture. Gotta be fibrous and Oaty.
  • Genkaku
    Genkaku Posts: 27
    Options
    I buy quickoats and mix in about 1/2 a tsp. of cinnamon, and that's it. If you give it a week you really do find you get used to the taste. I thought at first it was pretty bland and tasteless, but after awhile it becomes pretty routine. I have it 5-6 days a week for breakfast now, and I never get tired of it.
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I agree with whoever said to eat more than 200 calories... unless you're eating 6 meals a day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It jumpstarts your metabolism!

Its been proven over and over for weight loss in clinical studies: meal times alone to NOT matter. Now, if you end up starving and binge because you didn't eat breakfast, thats a different story. But the metabolic boost from eating breakfast is not significant enough to warrant forcing yourself to eat if you don't want to.

With that being said, meal times do seem to have some effect on muscle growth, so if you are trying to bulk, eating after a workout seems to give faster gains. There needs to be a little more concrete research done on that though, but a large proportion of champion bodybuilders swear by eating after a workout.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    Try greek yogurt

Most excellent choice!!!! I was really shocked by greek yogurt.. I don't like yogurt but some of the really creamy greek yogurts I like a lot... ESPECIALLY FROZEN FOR A FEW HOURS>>>>>>>MMMMMMMMMMMM.

I hate yogurt, but Greek yogurt is definitely better, and when its frozen it's really good!! The plain variety is also a good substitute for mayo and sour cream!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I like adding applesauce to mine. It gives it a nice flavor (I also use it to help cool it down, as I keep my applesauce in the fridge) and doesn't add to many more calories. But, like most others have stated, if you really don't like the texture, then you can find other alternatives that give you the same amount of fullness and nutrition that you might actually like!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Blend it and drink it.

Be a man.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Blend it and drink it.

Be a man.

lol
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I didn't like oatmeal either, but I've learned to like the taste At first I would just tolerate it. I buy quick oats and throw some fruits, nuts, dark choco chips, quino flakes (which make it taste worse!), spices, OR etc. (the chicken stock with stir fry for dinner sounded really good) But I do think it takes some getting used to. I cook mine with Unsweetened Coconut or Almond Milk.

There are lots of good ideas listed here, that I will definetly try! But if you can't tolerate it, I suggest not eating it. There are LOTS of yummy things to eat for breakfast. :-)

MANY great protein pancake recipes that are low in calories. Research and find what suits you.

Thanks for the post.

SLB
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with brown sugar. Under 200cals.

YUM
  • masterfitness4u
    Options
    What flavor you have, plain? I used to eat oatmeal mapel and brown sugar and did not need anthing. Now I eat steel oats and add ground cinammon and rasins and it's really filly.
  • MsApril27
    Options
    I use Old Fashioned Oats, dried cranberries, skim milk, and a bit of crushed walnuts. Delish!!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.. Try steel cut oats instead. They have more texture. Add a tablespoon of strawberry preserves or something like that. A packet of splenda or stevia sweetener. Also a handful of cranberries or raisins. I've also added a little bit of crushed pinapple. The instant, plain kind is gross in my book.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This is my oatmeal 'recipe':

I use "Active Lifestyle" brand Chai Apple oatmeal (170 calories, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein), add a ton of cinnamon (or to taste), and mix it with one cup of Mott's Granny Smith Apple sauce (50 calories). I also usually add 2 tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseed. It adds to the calorie count, but you get a lot more fiber and omegas. I think it tastes pretty good.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal. If you like oatmeal cookies, I'm sure you can stomach it. :wink: The one I make is 161 cals (before milk/soy milk), and when you make a pan, you can cut it into squares and freeze them - heats up in 45mins in the microwave. Do a google search for recipes....the one I make has applesauce and only a couple of tbsps of oil, and I eliminate or reduce the sugar.

--> http://thelocalcook.com/2010/02/24/baked-oatmeal/

I don't add the walnuts, and have used apples instead of raisins. I cut an 9 x 9 pan into 9 squares to get that calorie total (not 4 like this person did!).

Though I seem to be the only person on the planet who has tried it. :tongue: