Need some views/insights, please :)

Options
Hey all,

I have a bit of an interesting situation that I would love some insight on. After gaining a few pounds over the past year, I'm back on the diet bandwagon trying to eat right and workout and trying not to murder my scale. You know how it is.

So for the past two months I've been staying under my calorie goals (for the most part) without being particular about carbs or protein or fat but just focusing on the total number of calories allowed(read: cookies are fair game). And with the help of some exercise, the weight has been coming off, albeit slowly. No biggie.

About five days ago, however, after waking up feeling a bit sluggish and icky, I decided to give the much-coveted high-protein, lowish-carb diet a try (I've read and been told repeatedly how this is very effective in fat loss/muscle retention, but of course I always thought I knew better than those silly doctors and professionals in the field). I started eating way more protein than usual and ate fruits and veggies mostly (apart from about 100-200 calories) for my carb intake, still staying within that 1200 goal. I also started doing some yoga again after ages, which although made me wonder if I'm secretly actually 100 years old (damn the pain), felt alright. Everything else has remained constant, including water intake, the daily brisk-walking, amount of sleep and facebook-stalking.

I usually weigh myself everyday, but my scale and I have a love/hate relationship so it had been a few days since I got on it. When I weighed myself today though, I was really confused by what I saw. In the four days that I haven't been on the scale, I've lost four pounds. Yup, FOUR. Even more confusing was the fact that my jeans didn't really protest like they always do when I put them on; they were even a bit looser.

Now I've been in the weight-loss game long enough to know that this is fishy. Fat does not come off that easily in such a short amount of time unless you're using a vacuum, and when a daily diet or exercise regime changes somewhat drastically, there's an adjustment period (i.e. temporary gain). Also, knowing my body it would normally take me 2-4 weeks to lose four pounds. Hence, I have a few theories as to what's really going on:

1. I've lost water weight, and will gain it back.

2. I was holding water weight before, and have managed to drop it with this new diet.

3. Yoga really, really, really agrees with me (riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.)

4. The scale is broken.

5. I'm a ninja (this makes the most sense).

Mind you, I'm not complaining about dropping four pounds. I'm just very intrigued because I know from experience that we usually don't lose weight (or fat, rather) that fast without gaining it right back. But since this high-protein, low-carb thing is a bit new to me, I'm not quite sure about what's going on.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried a similar diet change and seen an immediate reaction? Please feel free to add your views/insights/opinions/suggestions/social security number. Thanks guys!! :)

Replies

• dosesr4winners20
    Options
    hey! first congrats on your loss so far! i'd test the scale first weight something you know is 5 lbs to check it! to rule out # 4

when i did low carb i dropped a ton of weight at first like 30 lbs in 5 weeks! my dr told me carbs make you hold water just like salt can too. it could be a combo of less salt for you since you upped fruits and veggie combined w less carbs. plus any increase in exercise will make your body tighter.

i have barely lost any more weight in a few weeks but my waist is down almost 1.25 inches since i have been increasing my exersice more!

congrats again and feel free to add me!
  • dncnqn
    dncnqn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I heard from a trainer once that when you switch things up drastically, you can jumpstart the losing process. ;) Keep it up!!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i know for myself when i cut out most but especially refined sugars and carbs i can lose 2-5 pounds a week to start lol... i just can't maintain long term that cuz I love my carbs :)
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the water weight ... Although the ninja theory sounds good too ... tee hee

It makes sense that carb packed and/or "junkier" foods have high salt content that you were continually "feeding" ... a sudden reduction in salt will be noticed by your body, i.e. "yahoo" we can let some of this water go so we don't have dilute the salt any longer!

However, it is also realistic to think that one of those pounds may be fat ... and good for you!

In any case, you are doing your body good! and the body gods have rewarded you efforts!
  • nikysuniverse30
    Options
    I have been one of those people that have been on the yo-y diets as well. But a couple months ago, I tried a high protein/low carb diet...mostly fruits and veggies just like you described. I lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks...I got into a pair of jeans that I hadn't worn in 3 years. It felt great. Once I stopped the diet (i wasn't exercising or anything) the weight started coming back...(i hadn't made up in my mind that I was going to be consistent with exercise) but I'm back to exercising and eating right and I wanted to kick start my weight loss again by doing the same thing, and once again it worked. So to answer your question...It seemed to work for me...the issue is maintaining it.

:wink:
  • Yes, congrats on your weight loss! Water or not ... it's encouraging and makes you feel less inclined to throw your scale through a plate glass window :)

I agree 100% with the above - having tried almost every diet known to man kind a least once in my life ... I can attest ... carbohydrates (including the healthy grains) cause you to hold water and the minute you shift over to a protein centered diet you experience a natural diuretic effect. Will you gain it back ... perhaps ... if you start consuming a larger amount of carbohydrates again, but not if you continue with your low carb eating plan. It is a pleasant side effect - but the downside that comes along with this
    kind of diet is a depletion in your potassium ... something you might want to consider supplementing if you plan to continue for longer than 30 days :) When you return to a more balanced diet after you've achieved the weight loss you are looking for - yes, your body will tend to grab some of that water weight back.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition, especially protein, gives you energy which helps you exercise better. So you are probably burning more calories. I don't have any diet rules, but I do find that my cycling speed is better when my diet is better.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Can someone give me some examples of what a high-protein/low-carb day of meals would look like?

(Not that I believe in myself to follow it, a bag of pasta in butter would be my last meal on death row.)
  • CMAB
    CMAB Posts: 21
    Options
    First of all, thank you all so much for your feedback! I just love all the information on this forum.

Since the general consensus is that most of the weight lost is water, I'm surprised to learn that even a moderate carb-laden diet can cause that much water retention. I think I'll have to do some googling and find out more.

Thanks guys! :)
  • CMAB
    CMAB Posts: 21
    Options
    Since I don't eat meat where I live right now, most of my protein comes from beans and legumes, nuts, eggs and dairy (not a big fan of soy products). My meals generally consist of some combination of protein, veggies/fruits and some grain.

For example some of my meals have been: a grilled cheese sandwich and an apple, a whole-wheat roti (a thin Indian flatbread) with a cup of peas and veggies, an omelette with veggies with two slices of toast, etc.

As snacks I generally end up having some fruit along with a protein. Some examples are: an apple with 1 or 2 tbsp peanut butter, an orange with some cheese, a banana with a glass of milk, some hummus with carrots, etc

It's actually been easier than easier than I thought somehow. BUT, amen to pasta, butter and heaps of cheese. Sigh.