Oh crap...what have I done!

Options
I can't believe I just did this - I actually agreed to train for a triathalon (April, 2012) with my sister! Why, why, why??? I'm not even finished the C25K program (just started week 7) so seriously what the hell was I thinking?!? Actually, what I was thinking is that each of the jog and bike parts of the race would be approximately the same distance...about 5 km each. NOT. The run part is 5 km but the bike part alone is 20 km!!! The swim (I'm SO not a strong swimmer) is 700m (28x25m).

Gawd...I'm in for a world of hurt! :sad:

Replies

• RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! Go kick some @$$

:flowerforyou:
  • bigprettygirl69
    bigprettygirl69 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself that the BODY IS THE BEST MACHINE EVER. Take it easy on yourself and the longer you're at it the STRONGER YOU GET BETTER.
  • socialite1
    Options
    You can do it! Just remember you don't have to be the strongest or fastest or first to finish. The point is to finish.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    That's a smaller triathalon and I witnessed a 70y.o. man do one lol You can do it too!
  • justme84x
    Options
    seeing as how swimming is not your strong point, I would train hard at that! it's several months away and plenty of time to improve yourself in all fields. You CAN do this!! The only thing standing in the way is Doubt! Know you can do it!
    :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it! You have until April... that's SIX MONTHS to train! I started C25k on Sept 10th and ran a whole 5k on Oct 15, having not even finished the program (I actually only did 2 weeks of it, but apparently our bodies remember if we've been in good shape before (?), which I was)
  • moly39
    moly39 Posts: 7
    Options
    Well just keep up with what your doing, and hopefully by April you will be ready! Swimming too? To me that sounds the hardest. Can we come watch? hahaha...kidding. I'm so excited, by April you will be rocking it!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well just keep up with what your doing, and hopefully by April you will be ready! Swimming too? To me that sounds the hardest. Can we come watch? hahaha...kidding. I'm so excited, by April you will be rocking it!

I'd love for you to come watch - bring your pompoms! I think swimming will be the hardest too. Must get to the pool...
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you have a lot of time to train. Get some books from the library or go online and seek out a sprint-distance triathlon training program. Take some swimming lessons if it's your weakest sport of the 3 (and it is the weakest for MOST people, so don't feel alone...). Make sure your bike is in good mechanical shape--clean it, lube the chain, make sure the tires are inflated to the proper pressure (if you don't know how to do these things, then take it to your local bike shop and ask for a tuneup). Also bear in mind that 20K on a bike is really nothing--even if you ride fairly slowly, it'll take you maybe an hour. Surely you can work up to that in 6 months, right? Keep on w/your running program since you have a start on that.

There is absolutely no need to panic--you have lots of time to prepare. As I mentioned above, check out a training plan so you have some idea how to structure your training and get the most out of your time. This is totally doable. You just need to make a plan and adhere to it, both for physical conditioning and mental confidence. Plan the work, work the plan, and you can't fail!
  • AnnetteLC
    Options
    As the sister named in the "Oh crap...what have I done" all I can say is that WE CAN DO THIS! If a hundred year old man can run a marathon certainly two sisters only 39 years old (or so) can do a triathlon. Right?????
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As the sister named in the "Oh crap...what have I done" all I can say is that WE CAN DO THIS! If a hundred year old man can run a marathon certainly two sisters only 39 years old (or so) can do a triathlon. Right?????

Yes...we can do it...it might take me a week to complete but I will cross that finish line (hopefully not in a body bag).

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!! Stay tuned for training updates!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just did this - I actually agreed to train for a triathalon (April, 2012) with my sister! Why, why, why??? I'm not even finished the C25K program (just started week 7) so seriously what the hell was I thinking?!? Actually, what I was thinking is that each of the jog and bike parts of the race would be approximately the same distance...about 5 km each. NOT. The run part is 5 km but the bike part alone is 20 km!!! The swim (I'm SO not a strong swimmer) is 700m (28x25m).

Gawd...I'm in for a world of hurt! :sad:

Work on your technique for swimming. How you hold your body in the water can greatly reduce the amount of work you do to propel yourself through it.

Good luck to you! :) You can do it!
  • shanyjhopkins
    Options
    Hey its great that you are doing this! I think working for a goal to do a triathalon is a great motivator!! Remember its the journey that is important! you have already won just for undertaking such a task!! Good luck and i know you can do it!!