Alcohol taking the place of food

Options
I don't drink (except for special occasions and lately a little more), used to...felt the "might turn into an alcoholic" feeling coming on, and stopped. My Dad and my Grandma both died in 2009, a month apart, from alcoholism. This has kept me from drinking, even before they died because I saw how it tore our family apart and I know that it's hereditary.

The past few weeks I have found myself thinking about drinking more than I have about eating (and wanting to drink my food). I actually sat in my bed last night asking myself if I was going ****ing crazy because I couldn't think of anything else. My thoughts also went a little darker, but we won't get into that. I sometimes feel like all the stress in my life and the inability for me to handle it is going to turn me down the same road as my Dad. It's killing me, for real. I can't make it thru the day without thinking atleast a handful of times, "I need a drink!". Why? This is not even ME, I'm worried about myself. I also worry about my family if I continue to think this way.....not sure where to go from here. I think I'm losing the confidence in myself to not drink like I used to. This sucks.

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I don't know you, and of course can't say for sure... but it certainly sounds like you are aware that this could turn into a MAJOR problem. There are help lines for alcoholism and I really really feel that you should look into this. If you are feeling the crunch of addiction before even becoming an addict NOW is the time to stop it before it starts... Good luck to you.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Are those your beautiful babies in the pic??? THEY are the ones that need you to get some professional help.... do it for them so that they don't have the same memories of mom as you do of dad. :( Again, good luck to you!
  • travelerkate
    travelerkate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it's really great that you are recognizing that this is an issue now and not after you give in and have a serious problem. Like the PP, I don't know you, but I would strongly suggest going to AA or another support group. Getting help now will be much easier than later on. Best of luck to you!