What to have for dinner?!?

mbmorse1011
mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
I struggle every night with this question. My boyfriend is not on a "diet" with me, the only veggies he eats are corn and potatoes. So its hard to plan a good healthy dinner. Sometimes I cook extra things for myself and then I feel that he only gets meat and potatoes or another side......which is all he eats anyway. He would eat spagahettie every night if I let him. He asked if I was going to put him on my diet (obviously he has noticed my results). But he would die because he doesn't eat anything that is "healthy". I told him he would have to learn to like other foods. Anyone have some good HEALTHY recipies for picky eaters?

Replies

• ksandy1224
    ksandy1224 Posts: 35 Member
    You could always just sneak things into what he considers comfort food. He probably won't even notice if you start using low fat cheese, ground turkey instead of beef and whole wheat pasta rather than white. Does he do fish? We probably have seafood two to three times a week, and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself because it tastes so good! If he thinks he doesn't like fish, present him with some Mahi Mahi or Halibut, now that's some meaty fish! Tuna steaks are good too. I've found Sam's Club to have some excellent frozen seafood, we get our fish and our shrimp there. Good luck! You gotta love those picky eaters!
  • jeetiesweetie
    jeetiesweetie Posts: 3 Member
    if he loves spaghetti, a really easy thing to throw in there is shredded zucchini. Instead of throwing sauce over spaghetti without mixing it up- you can use garden combo ragu -- harris teeter brand if you have one close to you has chunkier veggies but ragu is less noticable-- always sautee onion, garlic, shredded zucchini, shredded carrots, shredded mushrooms etc into the sauce pan and then once they're really soft theyll practically mush up and when you mix the sauce back in you will see that they're not very noticable. Also- esp if you use a garden sauce, he may just think it's from the sauce. Add some oregano, basil, or parsley fresh and mix it before you give it to him.

the other person is right in that he wouldnt notice if you swapped everything for fat free. I did that at my house, and all it does is not give you a greasy aftertaste. I still have to get over baking french fries hweover if i spray them with pam before baking they have a more "fried" taste.

you can make lasagna too this way with shredded extra veggies and get away with it.

zucchini cakes are popular like potato cakes baked or pan fried. when you put out chips and salsa- add fresh tomato, corn, onion, mango etc to it to mix it up a little bit.

hope this helps. I think you will experiment more and more. today i am shredding butternut squash into my lasagna.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    I would start by taking some favorite recipes and finding ways to make it healthier-try skinnytaste.com. My husband is the same but I love to cook and make everything super delicious so he actually enjoys the healthier food, not because it's healthy, but because he doesn't feel like he's sacrificing (and neither do I). He's not on the bandwagon with me so I'm passive agressively trying to get him healthier too.

I've taken regular spaghetti with marinara sauce and started doing barilla plus pasta with marinara and then mixing in zucchini and mushrooms and having meatballs. You could put anything you want in spaghetti sauce. I am a veggie hider-the more I can sneak in the better (not a huge veggie fan).
This discussion has been closed.