Hayao Miyazaki

Options
Moofey
Moofey Posts: 444
Who likes his movies or the movies he helps make?

Which one is your favorite?

Replies

• Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    HARDEST QUESTION EVER.

Oh god.
    -aneurysm-
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I usually loathe anime but Princess Mononoke was cool. Despite the cringeworthy voice "acting".

I want one of those clicky little bobbly-head forest spirit dudes. XD
  • Apryl546
    Options
    But in all seriousness.. I love too many of his movies, and there's certain ones I'm not too fond of.
    First movie I ever saw of his was Kiki's delivery service, last one I watched was Howls Moving Castle (Introduced it to a friend on Sunday actually).

My Favorite.. I have a list.. Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky,.. <3
    (Not favorite in that order)
  • Apryl546
    Options
  • Whitakerdowns
    Options
    I like/own all his movies. Howl's moving castle is my favorite.
  • wybolo
    wybolo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at his film credits now and I honestly can't pick out which I like best. I love Mononoke and Spirited Away but I guess I'll go with the first of his films I ever saw "My Neighbor Totoro".
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Spirited Away is the first of his I ever saw, and still my favorite. My older daughter's fave is the romantic Howl's Moving Castle. My younger daughter's favorite is the kick *kitten* warrior princess Nausicaa. My husband's favorite is Porco Rosso--you know, the one about the middle aged man who is cursed to look like a pig.

We also love Kiki (best song!), Totoro (creepy urban legend backstory notwithstanding), and Castle in the Sky. The kids haven't seen Princess Mononoke yet. Ponyo is annoying--I know you're redoing the Little Mermaid fairy tale, and it's all about how the girl wants to be with the boy, but she's so whiny!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love all Miyazaki movies. Like someone else already said, I usually despise anime cuz its just.....I can't really explain. Anyway, we LOVE My Neighbor Totoro. My son and I set aside a "Studio Ghibli Day" and play all his movies. I usually make him a bowl of ramen with a piece of ham on top like in Ponyo and we eat mochi to try and replicate the cake they eat in Totoro. Yeah we're dorks.
    Spirited Away is a close second and so is Howls Moving Castle.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I love all Miyazaki movies. Like someone else already said, I usually despise anime cuz its just.....I can't really explain. Anyway, we LOVE My Neighbor Totoro. My son and I set aside a "Studio Ghibli Day" and play all his movies. I usually make him a bowl of ramen with a piece of ham on top like in Ponyo and we eat mochi to try and replicate the cake they eat in Totoro. Yeah we're dorks.
    Spirited Away is a close second and so is Howls Moving Castle.

That's gotta be one of the cutest things I have ever heard.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Princess Mononoke is my favorite because it makes me cry everytime...and I am not one to cry at movies >_<
  • maryrachelv
    Options
    Whispers of the heart.. I DARE you to watch it and not get country roads stuck in your head.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I love his movies.

Howls Moving Castle is probably my favorite.

Just watched My Neighbor Totoro a couple weeks ago, it was very good.

Love princess mononoke as well, and ponyo!

His movies are the only anime i really like.
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tie between Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Which is why I bought both, because I couldn't decide. Probably Spirited Away. Totoro was cute. I've liked all of them. Only one that let me down kinda was Ponyo. I was expecting something different I guess.

He didn't direct, but produced and was conceptually involved in The Cat Returns. It reminded me a lot of the ones he directed.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Miyazaki fan! My favorite would probably be Spirited Away, followed closely by Howl's Moving Castle, but honestly I've pretty much liked them all!
  • SaltAnAtlas
    SaltAnAtlas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    *waves hand* :wink: Top three favorites are
    - Totoro
    - Kiki's Delivery Service
    - Nausicaa

I loved that Totoro made an appearance in Toy Story 3. :smooched: