workout before meal or after?

Options
my schedule basically only allows for evening and morning time for workouts and since i'm not a morning person at all... mornings are kinda out of the question... which brings me to the question....Is it better to work out before a mea( i find i get pretty hungry after working out)or after a meal? ( that way you burn it off) .also is it more beneficial to start the day with a work out or end it with one?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    i always get sluggish after eating so i try to work out before.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In the context of fat loss it will make no difference. You should eat according to what best fits your lifestyle/personal preference/gym performance while still hitting your end of day targets for calories and macronutrients.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    my schedule basically only allows for evening and morning time for workouts and since i'm not a morning person at all... mornings are kinda out of the question... which brings me to the question....Is it better to work out before a mea( i find i get pretty hungry after working out)or after a meal? ( that way you burn it off) .also is it more beneficial to start the day with a work out or end it with one?

Working out before dinner (especially cardio training) will maximize fat loss.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    No idea what is actually better. I know what is better for me though. My schedule allows for me to go to the gym after dinner, so that's what I do. I tried to go to the gym before dinner one night and by the time I got home, got all my evening things done and could get down to making dinner, it was 9pm. That's a no go for me! I guess it's whatever works for you. :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can't workout (like REALLY heavy duty, calorie burniing worthwhile workout) after a meal without getting all crampy. I try to have a snack about an hour before my workout and my meal half hour to an hour after my workout. The snack gets me through and the meal replenishes my body.

That being said, if I have a super intense workout, I can't eat a thing after without feeling sick. :-\
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Some experts says you should workout first then eat. That doesn't work for everyone so you have to do what you can do. I workout in the evenings and I split it up, I walk before dinner and cardio a few hours later, just before bed.

So just do what you can do, the most important part is that you are exercising!!!

Good Luck!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Is it better to work out before a mea( i find i get pretty hungry after working out)or after a meal? ( that way you burn it off)

Your body will burn the same amount of energy whether you eat before or after.
    is it more beneficial to start the day with a work out or end it with one?

Your body will burn the same amount of energy whether you work out in the morning or at night.

It's all about preference. Some people go into their workouts in a complete fasted state while others need a little something to get them through it. Personally, I wouldn't eat right before working out because that food in your gut weight would be a little uncomfortable. Also, if you will work more efficiently with a night session, you'd be better off working out then rather than working out in the morning and not putting as much energy into your work out.
  • Mkrug221
    Options
    I work out most times at night. I find I can't eat a meal and then go workout. It makes me nauseous. So I'll usually have a granola bar, hard boiled egg, or string cheese and then eat when I get home.
  • hlf30
    hlf30 Posts: 10
    Options
    My workouts are never as good if I've eaten a big meal before - I tend to feel very heavy and am prone to stomach cramps. Also - the gym always makes me very hungry (particularly rowing for some reason) so I tend to have a quick snack just before I go (about 100 calories) and then will have dinner when I get back. If I have to eat before, i try to have very few carbs and wait at least an hour before working out.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I do a better workout first thing, as I'm not as stiff and find I can workout for longer, but have to start really early so no time for breakfast first or I'd have already started stiffening by time I'd messed about making a cup of tea and breakfast and eating it. If I do something later I only manage half an hour and its just a game like wii tennis or something or half an hour on exercise pedals whilst watching telly.
  • kedwardspcm
    kedwardspcm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You should have a healthy balance of good protein and complex carbs before and after your workout - if you are involved with high intensity workouts. The pre and post workout protein and carbs will help you sustain your muscle. So, if you typically have two eggs and a cup of oatmeal (which is ideal), have half before and half immediately after your workout :)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Just doing a workout anytime during the day is what is important, I do like working out on an empty stomach not starving but empty. I think you get more fat burn this way. Some don't agree but that's my point of view... Good luck!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Personally, I much prefer to eat afterwards-- particularly because my fave exercise is swimming--and I absolutely positively CANNOT eat for at least 2-3 hours before swim! If I eat so much as a Life Saver, I'll be urping and burping chlorine-flavored Life Saver during my whole workout! The same thing happens with something like a cardio class (kickboxing, aerobics, zumba, that kind of thing), but usually not as severe as swimming.

But I am fine eating a modest meal before I walk or bike-- I guess because they're not as "jiggly" to a full stomach. So on days when early morning is really my only workout option, I'm OK eating a small breakfast (~150 - 170 calories), and then hittiing the treadmill or the bike.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options

I prefer to workout in the morning, before I eat. If I do not work out in the morning, I try to workout before dinner. Generally, if I eat first, I won't feel like working out. And if I wait too late in the day, I am more inclined to make excuses and skip the workout entirely.
  • MintyMaki
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your lovely response. :) i have found it is better for me to work out a little after lunch and before dinner. i found it works with my schedule and im not starving as im running. also by the time i get home, shower and prepare dinner i am ready to eat my house :) thank you all so much for your advice!

-Maki