For those who have lost about 50 pounds....

Options
How long did it take you to lose 50 pounds? I've been getting so frustrated with my weight! I've been floating back and forth within the same 3 pounds the past couple weeks ... I know it will get better so but it is still frustrating... I feel like I should of lost more by now and be closer to my goal. Which leads me to asking how long it took you... I'm hoping after reading some of your answers it will calm me down a little.

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It didn't take long in the grand scheme of things, though I did plateau for a while. If you're not eating your net calories, or drinking enough water etc, that can happen.

HTH

R
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5 months to lose my first 50. I have a lot more to lose than you so they came off a bit easier though. Funny that your extra fat actually helps you burn more calories. I have 56lbs to go and those are proving to be the most tricky. You'll get it though. Sometimes it takes your body some time to get in the groove and catch up with what you're doing. Best of luck!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hiya. Fear not. Everybody plateaus. Weight goes up a little sometimes too. But it will come back down, and trend that way, in the long haul. No sweat. Keep on doing what you are doing...eating right, exercising right, and above all, keep a positive attitude. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. You're cool!
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    It took me about 3 months to lose 45 pounds, and then my weight loss slowed down dramatically. I had several times where I would gain and lose the same 3-5 pounds before it finally came off for good. Oddly, if I eat maintenance calories for a day or two that seems to do it. I'm only 5 lbs from my goal, and I'm starting to think its going to take me 3 months to lose those last 5 pounds lol.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5 months to lose right at 50. Only took a month of being laid up with injury to gain 7 back...lol! Now I feel like I'm starting all over. :( Hang in there! It will be SO worth it!
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When did you start your new regime? I am on 49 lost and I started at the end of January. I was doing weight watchers from end of January to the start of July and I lost around 16/17 pounds on that then ive lost the rest on the 17 day diet since 4th July- around 33 pounds.

I think in general you should be aiming for a pound a week as MFP recommends. Will your goal weight put you at the bottom end of the normal BMI weight.

I have noticed my weight loss is a lot slower recently but that is to be expected-I hit a normal bmi about 3 pounds ago and have 5 more to lose so I was expecting that.....

I would say as long as you are exercising and eating the right things then you will lose. Just stick with it.

Emma x
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose 50 pounds? I've been getting so frustrated with my weight! I've been floating back and forth within the same 3 pounds the past couple weeks ... I know it will get better so but it is still frustrating... I feel like I should of lost more by now and be closer to my goal. Which leads me to asking how long it took you... I'm hoping after reading some of your answers it will calm me down a little.
    When I started my journey, it took me a little over 7 months to lose nearly 48 pounds. That's via jumping through hoops that my then-insurance company required me to do in order to be approved for LAP-BAND surgery. But in the 6 months after surgery I wasn't focusing on calorie intake nor exercise and it took me considerably longer to lose ANY weight. However, in the last 100 days, thanks to this site, I've lost 37 pounds through diet and exercise (and with the help of the LAP-BAND of course).

There's no magic wand to losing the weight...it's going to take effort. You can use the site's tools to adjust the recommendations to you reaching your goals quicker. You can set it for 2 pounds a week and it would take about 25 weeks of work (and sticking to the recommendations) to lose 50 pounds, so, approximately 6 months.
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi ive lost 54lbs and it has taken me just over 10mths...iwas stuck 4 afew weeks not losing nothing and ijust zig zaged my cals for a few days and that seemed to work for me so it will come keep up the good work xx
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds in <5 months. Make sure you exercise every day (even on your "rest" days you can get a moderate walk in), drink lots of water and log everything that passes through your lips. If you don't account for mindless "little tastes" of things that you have all week it can really add up!!!

Good luck! You can do it!
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone! I've been doing this for about 2 months now and have kept off about 7 pounds. I lost 50 pounds about 5 years ago and was able to keep them off for about 4 years (very unhealthy way!!) and I think my body is having a harder time giving up the pounds because of it.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It took me around six months, but could probably have lost it a little quicker if I'd tried a bit harder.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Oh darn wish I hadn't read this. I know I'm a slow loser but really..... has taken me 12 months to nearly lose 50lbs (49) and i still have another 50 to go. Oh well at least I'm losing.
  • bhessjerz
    Options
    90 days for 50 then averaging 2 lbs a week.. stay strong with your diet and cardio and you'll be fine :)
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh darn wish I hadn't read this. I know I'm a slow loser but really..... has taken me 12 months to nearly lose 50lbs (49) and i still have another 50 to go. Oh well at least I'm losing.

Hey It has taken me 10 months and a lot of ups and downs so dont sweat it-everyone loses weight at different rates, you will get there eventually and will be so much healthier for it. Who cares if it takes you a bit longer to lose the weight than other people? You are doing this for yourself.

Losing 50 pounds is awesome so well done you !!! x
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options

Hey It has taken me 10 months and a lot of ups and downs so dont sweat it-everyone loses weight at different rates, you will get there eventually and will be so much healthier for it. Who cares if it takes you a bit longer to lose the weight than other people? You are doing this for yourself.

Losing 50 pounds is awesome so well done you !!! x

Thank You. I will keep working it. Slowly but surely. :smile:
  • lauraandmonsters
    lauraandmonsters Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It took me a year! And I busted butt. So just keep going. Every day is a victory!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    First 58 were in 5 months.

I ate lots of protein, got off of the soda and really limited my processed foods. Drank lots of water and increase my exercise as much and as often as I could. Continually lowered my calories til I got to 1200 and weight came off most weeks, but not every week.

You have to have patience, eat lots of protein & fiber, drink water, 1200 Net calories and walk/cardio are great way to start exercising.

Best of Luck!