Looking to get seriously into running....

Options
Anyone have advice for a heart rate monitor/distance/speed monitor/cals burned monitor?

Not too expensive if possible, or even places where you can get a good discount?

x

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I got mine at target the new balance n4, it was 69.99 and I've had it for a year and it's worked great for me.
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    I love my Garmin Forerunner 305!!!!! I got it on Amazon for $125, but I seriously use it all the time!
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    I love my Garmin Forerunner 305!!!!! I got it on Amazon for $125, but I seriously use it all the time!

This ^^^^ It is amazing!!!
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    I've only ever used Polar, and I love it. http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/
  • amy4fit
    Options
    I also agree with the garmin 305! I don't know what I did without it and it is great for distance running and helps keep me motivated!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Anyone have advice for a heart rate monitor/distance/speed monitor/cals burned monitor?

Not too expensive if possible, or even places where you can get a good discount?

x

I signed up for an account at Sports Authority, and now I get emailed coupons all the time, usually 25% off one item. don't know if that helps.........
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone with GPS, you can download any number of apps that can help you track milage. i use cardio trainer, but there is also iMapmyruns.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone with GPS, you can download any number of apps that can help you track milage. i use cardio trainer, but there is also iMapmyruns.

I use my iphone with iMapMyRUN app that was free. It's not a heart rate monitor, but it works for distance, speed and time... and it estimates how many calories you burned. It also maps and keeps your routes. Love it! The great part is that I only have to carry one item for phone (emergencies, I don't talk and run, lol!), music and training records :)
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to seriously get into running, and monitor your pace and distance, spend a little extra money and invest into a Garmin or GPS device. They work really well, last a long time, and Garmin is an excellent brand to work with if you have any issues with yours. I have the Garmin 110, which is an older version but it still does the job, and does it well. I attached a Garmin HRM to it, which I found on Amazon for $69 - check out Amazon for fantastic deals!! You can find deals sometimes at REI or Craiglist (buying used) and even though $125-$150 sounds like a lot, you'll get the return on your investment really quickly if you run at least 4-5 times a week. If you can't afford that, I would look into Ebay or Craiglist and get yourself a used Garmin.