1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped*
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
6 basil leaves, coarsely chopped or torn
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and bay leaf and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
* an easy way to chop the tomatoes is to cut them up with scissors while they are in the can

Per Serving:

Calories 70; Total Fat 2.5 g; (Sat Fat 0 g, Mono Fat 1.5 g, Poly Fat 0 g) ; Protein 2.5 g; Carb 9 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 390 mg
Excellent source of: Vitamin A, Vitamin C
Good source of: Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Potassium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 cups, serving size: 1/2 cup

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_130826,00.html

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped*
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 bay leaf
    6 basil leaves, coarsely chopped or torn
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and bay leaf and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
    * an easy way to chop the tomatoes is to cut them up with scissors while they are in the can

Per Serving:

Calories 70; Total Fat 2.5 g; (Sat Fat 0 g, Mono Fat 1.5 g, Poly Fat 0 g) ; Protein 2.5 g; Carb 9 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 390 mg
    Excellent source of: Vitamin A, Vitamin C
    Good source of: Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Potassium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: 3 cups, serving size: 1/2 cup

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_130826,00.html