From FIT to FAT...on purpose?

Options
This guy packed on 70 lbs since May '11 on purpose to have a better understanding of those who struggle with cravings and weight loss. His physical appearance has changed DRASTICALLY in these 5 months alone. I'm interested to see if he can get it back to the way it was before in another 6 months...

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/why-a-personal-trainer-is-making-himself-obese-on-purpose-2583990/

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wow.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on my profile, I too will find it interesting how his journey goes, and I think it's kinda cool that he is doing this,,,, it's HARD!! And now he will know.... :)
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I think its about time.

Every time I see a trainer going all drill Sargent, I think...."How can your FIT *kitten* possibly understand what my FAT *kitten* goes through on this freak**** diet you put me on"
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thats crazy. I want to be a trainer when I get to my goals because I know that I DO have an intimate understanding of what it feels like to battle cravings and emotional eating and binge eating. I know how it feels to be overweight. But I can never imagine going from so incredibly fit to being fat. Its just not the way to prove a point or understand anything. In my opinion.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I actually know him and he is a great guy. I still don't get why he did it because of health issues but it will be interesting to see how fast he can lose it again because I have about the same weight to lose.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good thing. He will be better able to help the people that come to him for training since he has been there, kind of, and will understand some of the struggles. He will know what food addiction really means. He will understand the struggle with the kind of tired a person gets eating those foods.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    i read this article also I am glad he admitted the food cravings are real but like you I wonder how long it will take him to lose the weight and will his body ever go back to how it look before the weight gain
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    Minnie Driver had to gain weight for her role on "Circle of Friends" and said she had the hardest time getting back down to her original size. Best of luck to this guy - but I hope he had fun eating anything he could while he had the chance to do it!
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Interesting...thanks for sharing!
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think its about time.

Every time I see a trainer going all drill Sargent, I think...."How can your FIT *kitten* possibly understand what my FAT *kitten* goes through on this freak**** diet you put me on"

This made me laugh hahaha but I totally agree!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I really hope he doesn't screw up his metabolism doing this...

However, if he's like *MOST* guys I know, he'll drop it off pretty fast...
    hope it doesn't back-fire for his females clients - should he figure
    the ladies can drop it just as easily as it went on........

Although I must admit, I would rather have a personal trainer who's LIVED in bondage for years, and broke free.

It's like talking to someone who's smoked for decades VS. someone who smoked on and off for a year and getting their advice on quitting.
  • lydaugherty87
    Options
    Wouldn't it just be awful if he was ultimately stuck in this depressing world of laziness and junk/fast food?? And dieted for a week and gave up because of the cravings? Now that he got himself in the hole, he's got to have a lot of willpower to get back out!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Well now his site is down due to getting linked so much lol..so it must be a popular topic today!

I do like that he mentioned how he is realizing that junk food is in fact physically addictive. And I think if someone smoked a pack of cigs a day for 6 months they would be fully addicted just like anyone else. It's cool to have someone recognizing an addiction as it happens. I hope he will be successful regaining his health.
  • Logansmom2011
    Logansmom2011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that he didn't take the easy way out and just wore a fat suit to experience this.You can take the fat suit off,but this you have to work hard to get the weight off and the mental part of this experience will stick with him.Knowing how it feels to be fat and the mental abuse you get for being fat will hopefully change the way he is towards overweight people.
  • ehlertmartha
    Options
    i like it it will how him how the bigger people can do it and opens other peoples minds to what theycan do as well
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea and will help people to relate better to each other. Walk a mile and all that.
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    That's quite a bold thing for him to undertake. I will be very interested in hearing about his experience. Gaining 70 lbs in 5 months is quite extreme so I hope his health is ok.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    WIll be interesting indeed. If he has always been fit then this could be pretty tough. Muscle memory will play a role in the transformation for sure though.

I personally think the weight will fall off him once he starts diet/exercise again. I'm more interested to see how long it would take to get back to that physique (not scale weight) and any issues with loose skin etc.

Also, I think plenty of trainers get into the business after making their own changes in life for the better. So just because they are fit when you see them definitely doesn't mean that they have always been that way.

edit: and he must sure know how to eat! Looks like an average of 12000cals above maintenance per week or around 1750 per day. That's hardcore :tongue:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!