Elliptical Machines and Dead Feet

Options
Does anyone else have their feet fall asleep when using an elliptical machine? I like to use it for an hour, and every twenty minutes or so, I have to get off the machine and walk around a bit until the feeling comes back to my feet.

I've tried changing my shoes, loosening the laces and my trainers and even move my feet around the foot rests, but nothing helps. I thought maybe my posture had to do with it too, but changing that hasn't helped. Any ideas what may be causing this? And any ways to prevent it?

Replies

• wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too and looked it up..I guess its normal...
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Same here, hoping someone has some insights.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    mine do it on the elliptical, the treadmill, the sidewalk, I'm just used to it I guess......I've even had my Dr. look at it......no answers!! maybe my shoes are too tight?! :tongue:
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just in my toes for me. I don't know, I figured it was normal.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    yeah mine do this too at about that same time! I've done everything you've mentioned and don't really know how to prevent it. I do get off and move around for a minute of so, but sometimes I just gut it out!

I'll be hovering for an answer too :)
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem....I notice it more when I've got it set to a higher incline/resistance.....it drives me nuts!!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    happens to me too. i've never really worried about it.
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Me too
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Try going in reverse for 1 minute, every 5 minutes, and see if that helps. It's a tip I saw on another site, and it's worked for me.
  • BulldogCNM
    Options
    It was recommended to me by my orthopedic doc to try to pay attention to your feet. He said the elliptical is great but people tend to put too much weight on their toes compressing their nerves and making their feet fall asleep. When I am on the elliptical I try to focus on rolling from the back to the front of my feet with landing..Basically just being aware. It helped, but yep common problem.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've got the same issue!
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Me too!! But, I noticed if I changed the way I was pushing the pedals, the numbness went away. Normally I push with the balls of my feet. If I switch it to use my heels for a few minutes then the feeling comes back and I can continue. LOL Weird huh???
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My trainer said I was leaning forward too much. Put most of the weight on your heels and relax your back foot after the stride. Luck!!!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I heard also if you loosen your shoes a little bit it's not so bad. I haven't tried it yet though. It happens to me all the time on the elliptical.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mine's just in the toes of my left foot, thought it was bc I had a broken toe on that foot years ago!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    common issue
  • beechbabe72
    Options
    It happens when you put too much stress on the balls of you feet for an extended period of time. When you are on the elliptical, try pushing down with your whole foot, rather than just the top part. If you alternate between pushing with the balls of your feet and with your heal (or whole foot) it should alleviate some of that discomfort. Hope that helps!
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my hubby about this yesterday after working out! I will have to try some of the suggestions!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pick your feet up off the pedals as you run every so often.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I asked my trained about it and she gave me a very long answer about the circulation blah blah blah. (wish I could remember). Basically, it should help to reposition your feet every few min. Ellipticals are particularly bad about causing this problem. Switching to reverse should change the movement of the foot and help prevent the circulation problem. She also suggested proping your toes up on the front rim for a few min to help blood flow. hth!