Is doing multiple exercise programs a bad idea?

Options
Ange_
Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
I just started the first day of the C25K (couch to 5km) running program. As i'm only in the early stages of it the workouts are quite easy and i wasn't over ally exhausted afterwards, neither did i burn a huge number of calories. I'm sure though that will changes as we get into the later stages.
Anyway that program says to only do 3 workouts a week with breaks in-between each running day.
This all sounds quite sensible but i'm not sure it is exactly designed with weight loss in mind. i think it is more about reaching the goal of being able to run 5km.

Now i also have the 30 day shed DVD which a while back i played around with a bit. I kind of intended on doing the 30 day shred (30DS) video on most of the off days from running. However i remember how sore i felt after that one and i'm worried that i wouldn't be able to to the C25K running the days after doing 30DS.

So what do you all think, should i just focus on one of these plans at a time, and maybe just do a brisk walk on days off? I'm mostly thinking also of the mental challenge of going out and doing more exercise when i'm exhausted and sore. I'm only new into this and know if i push myself too hard i'll probably end up giving up, i'd like to be able to complete something.

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Last year I did the C25k three days a week; Monday Wednesday and Friday and did Yoga Meltdown after. On Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays I walked and did 30 day shred. It was hard at first but got easier. The soreness goes away, but it was a lot to take on, and I burned out quickly. Don't know if I would take on so much again. But you never know.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I am horrible at following a day-to-day program, and would often make up my own workouts, or make a hybrid of a DVD workout like P90x.
    The only negative I can think of is that if you are trying to track progress. Meaning... if you are trying to get up to 20 push-ups, but don't stick to the program that incorporates them, you may not see a ton of progress with them. But that doesn't mean you won't make progress somewhere else. If you regularly challenge your body, you will get fitter regardless of what celebrity is barking out exercise instructions.

Mixing it up can be great if you need a bigger challenge or easily get bored with a standard program (like me). Plus I can't stomach that Tony guy in the P90X videos. lol
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i have like, 6 different exercise programs that i do. i'm exagerating a little bit, but in a typical week i'll do one run, one bike ride, one swim, and then a fourth of one of those for cardio. i'll also throw things in like 30 day shred, a kettlebell work out, or my own circuit training that changes in routine, but not in length or intensity.

doing the same thing over and over gets boring!!! and if you find the first few days of C25K easy, well, skip to week two! or do a circuit training before your run.

check out http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ for a quick and easy body weight program that you can combine with any type of work out.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Definitely nothing wrong with doing multiple programs together, but you have to have the motivation to stick with them.

The more programs, obviously, the larger time commitment it is going to take. An option a lot of people take is to mix the programs so they have more variety. They might only do one program each day, but they keep going back and forth so they don't get bored - and get the benefits if the programs focus on different things (strength vs cardio vs weight loss, etc.)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    REALLY?
    You are getting your body moving to burn! This is GOOD
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Are you trying to do a 5k? If so, stay with that program. If you are trying to get cardio in to lose weight, then do both.
  • amy4fit
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week(3-10 miles each run) and crosstrain wit a combination of strength training, kickboxing and step another 3 days a week. If you listen to your body and do not overtrain and push to the point of not being able to move you will burn calories and become stronger. The important part is listening to your body and resting when you need to. Good Luck!