My knees are bugging me after running on my elliptical...

Options
I've been using my elliptical for about 18 months, but lately, my knees hurt the day after I run. I know people who use it for an hour, and it doesn't bug them. Not sure what I'm doing wrong... I run for 45 min, three to five times a week, just depending on my time. Usually just under 4 miles.

Replies

• AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by Glucosimine for this type of thing.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options

THIS! It's a natural joint lubricant. Try it. Couldn't hurt. My husband's shoulder gives him issues during workouts and this was the advice of his doc.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

i've been reading and contemplating taking it myself. usually after a run, my knees or ankles are sore for a while. the pain isn't lasting as long, as it used to though. i used to do a run and then not able to run for a week. now i can do two runs a week, maybe three.

so maybe i don't need it. but you're on an elliptical. you might be doing it wrong. its supposed to be very low impact.
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i agree...i bought some osteo biflex a couple weeks ago and it has helped soo much!
  • nikmaack
    nikmaack Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My shoulder sometimes hurts if I use the elliptical too much. Try some stretches after your work out and a few times throughout the day.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

i've been reading and contemplating taking it myself. usually after a run, my knees or ankles are sore for a while. the pain isn't lasting as long, as it used to though. i used to do a run and then not able to run for a week. now i can do two runs a week, maybe three.

so maybe i don't need it. but you're on an elliptical. you might be doing it wrong. its supposed to be very low impact.

I was having issues with my knees just a couple weeks ago...started taking 2000mg of Glucosamine...no issues since!
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No fun, I hurt my knee back in middle school and it took a few weeks for me to walk on it again..everyone now says I probably fractured it but it healed on its own. Ive also hurt it twice like that since then, but it was always in high school and everyone in my family always told me I was babying it and to stop but I just couldnt walk on it..Now I get random sharp pains with my knees like the same thing is going to happen so I have to be careful with all exercise..Knee injurys arent fun! My brother also had knee surgery a year ago and that was horrible to watch him through recovery.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You may be developing arthritis on you knees. I just had a replacmemnt of one of my knees and am not allowed to use the elliptical. Try a machine called an "arc trainer"
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    My knees don't "hurt", but the left one often feels swollen after being on the elliptical for an hour. I do some light stretching afterwards and take a hot shower and make sure to elevate it whenever it's acting up and the swelling usually goes down after a bit.
  • lauraandmonsters
    lauraandmonsters Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was ok, until I upped my time. I am going to try the Glucosimine:) Thanks all!