Salad?

Options
I don't like ranch or any kind of dressing on my salads...But then my salads taste plain and nasty. How can I add more flavor to them? I usually just put chicken or some kind of meat, and a little bit of sprinkle cheese on them.

I appreciate all the help. :)

Replies

• Christinajp
    Options
    Oil & Vinegar
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    nuts
    craisins
    berries

edited to add:
    marinated chicken or other meats
  • MomBod81
    MomBod81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Salsa or guacamole?
  • staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I take 1 tbs mea ploy sweet chili sauce and mix with 1 tbs of lite miracle whip. It tastes great to me. Sometimes I will take shrimp warm it on the stove and mix the chili/miracle whip sauce with it and put over salad. Yummy!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Rice Vinegar and/or mandarin oranges!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lemon Juice
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    hot sauce!! It taste awesome and makes the salad juicier.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sun flower seeds
    Feta cheese
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite toppings on a salad, thanks to Spinozas Restaurant, is a Raspberry Walnut vinaigrette, goat cheese, dried cranberries, and chopped walnuts. So light, tasty, and refreshing!!!
  • monikajj
    Options
    A lot of the time, I use homemade hummus for salads. I haven't had much luck with store bought hummus. It's easy and well worth making it at home -- you can make it as thin or thick as you like. Since using it on salads and as a "gravy" for chicken, I will make it a softer consistency. I will make it thicker to spread on toast or as a veggie dip. You can control the flavors, as well -- garlic, roasted pepper, natural....
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It might seem a little odd, I put a little hummus on mine vegetarian hummus I love the black bean I might even add cranberries
  • TGomo
    TGomo Posts: 35
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great on salads. Try with a tablespoon of french dressing - if you want to mix it up a bit.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like some dressings, just not all over my salad. So I have it on the side and dip the fork in before grabbing a bite of salad. So if you like the flavor of some dressings but just find them a bit overwhelming, you might give that a try.

Otherwise, there are plenty of tasty things to add to a salad. Other veggies, like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and onions work well and have few calories. Toasted nuts or seeds can add a lot of flavor. Fresh or dried fruits are yummy. I love fresh strawberries sliced into a salad with some grilled chicken. Fresh pears are also lovely.

You could also try things like salsa or guacamole instead of a traditional salad dressing.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't use dressing on my salads unless it's a vinaigrette and even then, I use very sparingly.

I typically make my salads with:
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Tons of carrots (I love the sweetness)
    Broccoli
    Green or Red peppers
    Baked Chicken Breast
    Whatever other veggies I have: mushrooms, sweet onions, avocado, tomatoes, etc.
    Sometimes if I don't use chicken, I'll add salted sunflower seeds or canned tuna.
  • cheri868
    Options
    Hot sauce, definitely!!! Last week I took a salad to work and forget the salad dressing at home. I threw some hot sauce on it and instantly fell in love with how it made the veggies taste. I am hooked for life on it
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Why not try some other forms of salad instead? Bean salads, green bean salad, pasta salad....

Try this simple avocado salad too,

http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-eating-article/vegan-posole/1521687
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and avacado. Walnuts and raspberries. Chicken, bell peppers and salsa. Steak and blueberries. Almonds and mandarin oranges. Mmmm, now I can't wait to make salad :)
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I don't use dressings either but use rocket lettuce and baby spinach, which both have lots of nice natural flavour anyway xxx
  • Kelsey_Renee
    Options
    Wow, all this sounds yummy! I'll experiment and try some of these. Thanks!
  • flip_star
    Options
    Salsa, or a homemade peanut sauce (peanut butter and rice vinager)