Running Shoes sizing?

Options
Hi,
I usually wear a size 6 - 6.5 sized shoe, usually 6.5. I'm about to purchase some running shoes online and am wondering if I should order a size 7? I've heard that you should go a little larger with running shoes. Is that true?
Thanks!

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ideally, I would suggest going to a running store to be fitted properly for a shoe that goes well with your walking/running style. Even if you only try things on there, you can figure out what size and model is best then go find a good deal online.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My feet are only slightly larger than yours, and for running, I usually get boys shoes because they are a little wider and seem to have more support. If you don't already have a preferred shoe, I wouldn't order them online.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you are buying a regular brand I would go to a running store - and fit it before I buy online..... I do a lot of online shopping from the US, but would make sure the size is right before I order anything...
  • nicjer1
    nicjer1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to order a larger size as your feet will swell depending upon the amount of mileage you do.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I should mention It's highly unlikely I'll get the chance to go to a running store any time soon. I live out in the sticker bushes.
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ahhh it's so hard to tell with the variations in brands!! in pumas i wear like a 6-6.5 and with my new nike trainers for running i had to go with a 7.5.

I would really consider maybe trying to find a similar shoe in stores somewhere to try on before ordering them?
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    order a full size larger than you normally wear. I also wear a 6.5 but wear a 7.5 for running.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Went to a local running store. Talked to the owner. He convinced me to buy a size larger than I have ever worn before. I went back to pick up the shoes and all the sales staff apparently tells persons the same thing....I am a beginner runner.....They are good shoes. No pain when running or after. Seems to work.
    My2cents...........
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ideally, I would suggest going to a running store to be fitted properly for a shoe that goes well with your walking/running style. Even if you only try things on there, you can figure out what size and model is best then go find a good deal online.

Agree completely!

I have a UK3.5 or sometimes a Euro 36, which I think is about a US6 but some of my shoes vary by a whole size.

I buy my running / training shoes by walking around town for most of the day in my old trainers then going into a large sports shop and trying loads on! And you also need to wear the same socks that you would be wearing with the new shoes to try them on. No good trying shoes on with thick sports socks then going for a run with thin ones - it'll end in blisters :sad:
  • acraft83
    acraft83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was a finish line manager for a few years. I agree with other members in that unless absolutely necessary don't buy them online. However, if that is a must then it depends on the brand. Asics, and Adidas run similar and true to size as other shoes. New Balance run bigger. Nike runs soooo small so you will definitely need a bigger size. Nike Shox are a hate it or love it situation. If you are looking at those I HIGHLY suggest a trip to the store. These are not for everyone and take a lot of getting used to. Most people have them for casual wear, not heavy exercise. Hope this helps!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'd invest the time and money into getting sized at a running store that knows what they're doing. They will analyze your gait by watching you run and/or walk in their parking lot or on a treadmill. You'll be able to try on many different brands to find the one that best fits your feet, size, weight, etc. It's well worth the time and investment. While you're at it, get a good pair of socks as well. They are worth their weight in gold.

But, yes, you're right ... go a little larger in size.
  • acraft83
    acraft83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also...I'm not a runner, but when I had customers that were "real" runners and did miles after miles a week....several of them seemed to swear by Asics.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Also...I'm not a runner, but when I had customers that were "real" runners and did miles after miles a week....several of them seemed to swear by Asics.
    That's what I use, but there are many great brands such as Brooks and Saucony as well.

These are mine:
    PADLICDAEHKKNKJC.jpg
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options

This definitely. Every style fits differently and you want one that is best for your foot.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    The first time go to a running store have them fit you and find the right shoe for your run. Buy them and get some running socks too. Next time you will know the brand and size to get and then buy them online. It is worth it. Your feet are important to your lifelong health. Yes they will fit you a half or size up but in certain brands you may need a size down and a half up may be the same size you usually wear. They know these things about different brands. You need to replace running shoes pretty often so you can save alot later. I took my son to a running store when he started running and then my daughter. I started this year and used running shoes I had for walking but as soon as I could I went to the running shoes and got fitted. My son actually bought them for me. He still goes to the same store everytime he needs new ones. I am unemployed and we don't have alot of extra money but this is important.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I love the comfort of Asics running shoes! Too bad mine are already tearing around the toe area, havent even had them a year :-/