Weight loss and the gym

Options
I really HATE the gym. The only real exercise that I enjoy is walking. But -- can anyone lose weight with walking and diet alone?

Replies

• ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sure, eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose. The trick is figuring out how many calories you burn in a day.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you a calorie deficit with zero exercise factored in. So technically you don't even have to walk to lose weight - but it will make you healthier if you do.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80-90% diet. Exercise is really more about physical fitness, not for losing weight.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am! I've heard of a lot of "success stories" everywhere (tv, blogs, etc.) of people that did it with walking and diet alone.

You'll probably see a slower weight loss than if you were going to the gym and doing intense cardio, but it will come off if you be patient and eat healthy!

Edit to add: I also used to HATE the gym, but now I tolerate it for the most part, but I LOVE the group exercise classes. Maybe you should see if any gyms around you have free/included group classes and if you can get a free pass to test them out. We have people of all ages, shapes, and forms in all of the classes I've done and most of them you can go at your own pace. Might be worth checking into :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of weight loss is diet. I have heard anything from 70-90%. Exercise is not even necessary, but it is very helpful. I don't use a gym; I do all my workouts at home. I started using Tae-bo and cross-country skiing. I did Insanity for a while, and in the summer did lots of cycling. Now I am doing Turbulence Training workouts. Go ahead and start with walking, but keep pushing yourself so you are walking in a way that gets your heart rate up and you sweating.
  • Beijos
    Beijos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes you can definately lose weight and not go to the gym. You just need to make sure that you are eating well and finding activities around the home to help you exercise. Go for a walk outside, do yard work or an intense clean of the house. There are also some wonderful work out videos that you can do at home that will help get you in shape. I personally love Jilliam Michales 30 day shred. Good Luck!!!!!
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    I walk everyday either in the gym or with my friends, Since Feb 2011 I have lost a total of 71 pounds. So yes you can lose weight with just exersice and walking. I walk at about a 3.5 pace on the treadmill and I also include incline as much as possible. I also walk for about 50 minutes a day. Good luck and keep up the hard work.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Walking was my main exercise while I was losing weight and I lost 100 lbs. Other than that I just used some weights I had to work my arms a bit and sometimes did squats, lunges, or crunches while watching tv. It'll be fine.
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I lost 87 pounds by cutting my calories and doing lots of walking. So it is definately possible.

I then started working out at the gym. My appetite increased and I gained 75 pounds. But that's another story.....!
  • MDVOID
    MDVOID Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, the Gym is good because all the equipment but yes you can lose weight without the gym. You can do a good aerobic workout in your house without equipment, I would add these to a regular walking.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It has been working for me and I love it...I love getting outside rather than being inside and paying a monthly fee. I have everything I need outdoors and at home. Just remember to make it fun and change it up. Some times I walk a brisk pace and other times I walk up several small hills and now I am jogging a little. I have been doing this pretty steadily for 2 months and it has become part of my daily routine :) Good Luck!!! :drinker:
  • darkyr
    darkyr Posts: 2
    Options
    The diet solution has completely transformed my body AND how I value my health. I couldn't possibly go back to my old ways where physical activity wasn't a huge priority. This System has made me accountable and is a constant source of knowledge and encouragement. I have so much more energy and I always feel a sense of accomplishment

A full review here with prons and cons http://looseweightnow.me/