Do you remember your tipping point?

Options
Hi, just curious.

Do you remember your tipping point, the moment when you realized you wanted or needed to change your eating habits and change your attitude about health and fitness? Is not necessary that dramatic for everyone but is usually something that finally makes you take action.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    When my dr told me I would have to be on medication for my depression and anxiety forever, I was out to prove her wrong - and did through exercise and healthy eating :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    When I realized that guys were only going on one or two dates with me because even tho they liked my personality I was "too big" to be their girlfriend. I'm 6 feet tall & @ the time was just over 250lbs. I also felt like crap all the time & had zero energy.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    mine was when i my size 22 pants were getting too tight. i didn't want to be size 24 so i started working out.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    The final straw for me was finding out I was diagnosed with PCOS and if I wanted more kids, weight loss was extremely important for the possibility to go up. Seeing every picture I was in and cringing from what I looked like helped, too.
  • tat2tinkerbell
    tat2tinkerbell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I took care of a 600lb patient that it took 3 nurse to hold her tummy rolls up to clean in her private areas. And even then we weren't quite sure what we were cleaning exactly....I didn't want to end up that patient and be such a burden to the hospital staff. I occasionally fall off the wagon, but whenever I do, I end up with a super obese patient and I think to myself "this could be me, and I don't want that" and I get my butt to the gym and think about what i'm eating.
  • Obstinate07
    Options
    When I realized I was no longer comfortable with the way I looked.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When I didn't recognize who was staring back at me in the mirror...
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I had to start taking high blood pressure medication and couldn't climb a flight of stairs without being too winded to talk.
  • wwinn18
    wwinn18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This year I've gained a lottt of weight. I have never been classified as "overweight," but I am now under that classification. I noticed it all year, but kind of ignored it. I felt really self conscious during swim-suite season and I kinda wanted to do something about it. I started a diet in July...but didn't stick with it. I battled on and off with it for the past couple of months until the other day I picked up a couple of pairs of jeans that I bought barely a year ago and tried them all on. Not one of them fit anymore. How the heck did I go from a size 5 to a size 11 in a year?? I know to many people that's not a big deal, many people where bigger sizes and have more reason to be upset with themselves...but as a 20 year old in college who feels like the "big girl" around all of her friends, that hits you hard. The other day my girl Bridget was over and we were getting dress to go somewhere...I had to make excuses as to why I couldn't find a pair of jeans that fit me. It was embarassing. I wanted to cry...and on top of that, non of my tops look right anymore. I look pregnant in many of them...and I don't want people to stereotype me as the 20year-old who got pregnant in college without a boyfriend to take care of the baby. But after the day with Bridget, I couldn't get over how disappointed I was in myself. I knew I had to change....and soon. My family has a history of obessity and I am NOT going to let that happen to me. I realized right then and there that I had to fix my behaviors...and now, I am on track. It's only been about a week, but I am feeling so much better about myself.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    When I realized I was no longer comfortable with the way I looked.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    When I step on the scale and saw 220lbs...eekk!
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    The day my shoe came untied at work last year. I bent over to tie my shoe and could feel my face turning red from the strain of bending over. I had to come up for air and bend over again to finish tying. When I could finally breathe again, I just wanted to crawl into a hole.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It was when i saw pictures of the past 2 weddings Ive been in... I looked like a giant Oaf standing next to everyone in one picture and in the other my tux looked ridiculous because my gut was as big as it is. Not very flattering pictures Id have to say. However, that slowly planted the seed in my head that it was time to do something and do it right and completely. So here I am, 1.5 months in the books and im down 27 lbs. Granted it will take me another year to get where i need to be, but im in it for the long haul.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When my youngest son was 11 months old, and I was still fat. It surely couldn't be his fault by this point!
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Seeing 216.6lbs on the scale. I always said I don't know what I would do if I went over 200lbs because I knew I had a problem controlling my weight and I didn't know I could ever handle that. Well I knew by the fit of my clothes that I was gaining weight but reality really hit after Easter when I saw that dreaded number. I was that close to losing it and just giving up but then I was reminded of this site in a blog post I was reading. I had signed up here 2 years before and totally forgot about it. Well I came back and renewed the fight and right now I am just glad to again be below 200lbs while working my way down even more. Thanks MFP and all the wonderful people here. We all can do it. You all inspire me.
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    when my doctor told me i would not lose more than 5 pounds cause i havea hypo tyroid and depression and anxiety meds...ive dropped 40 pounds and am about to kick the mental meds (and doc) to the curb! my highest weight was 251
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I remember it vividly. college reunion in Qatar in the middle east of all places. we all played basketball in college and ALL of us had packed on SERIOUS excess weight, but the jokes aimed at me cut deep...real deep. i didn't have a hissy fit, far from it, i even indulged it, but knew that day that as soon as i got back to england i HAD TO CHANGE. Those jokes still cut deep even now...my friends have no idea i am much thinner now..and i won't tell them either . we are meeting in florida in march. I'm getting my middle finger plenty of practice for that day.
  • jaberry81
    jaberry81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When my son's father ( whom I am not with, but we are very good friends) asked if he could tell me something friend to friend and I said "sure." He told me I wasnt fat, but I had defenitaly put on some pounds and that I did not look anymore like I did when we were together (10 yrs ago):embarassed: I figured if he thought that other people must also. I was not happy with myself and have been wanting to change for awhile, but that definiatly gave me the push. I admit I have not been dating because I am not comfortable in my own skin and I want to be again :smile:
    Just to add I was 125 pounds when he and I were together and I am 145 today. Height 5'4
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Maybe TMI, but I started to be too out of shape for sex. ;) I'd lose my breath and have to stop before the end.

That, and I swore that I'd never be 300 lbs. The scale at the doctor's office (with clothes and shoes on) popped me at 300.5 lbs and it was a big shock. We went on vacation a few days later and I started the lifestyle change as soon as we got back.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    when my doctor told me i would not lose more than 5 pounds cause i havea hypo tyroid and depression and anxiety meds...ive dropped 40 pounds and am about to kick the mental meds (and doc) to the curb! my highest weight was 251

Some docs are full of *kitten*... i was in the hospital for a week when i was like 18, I had an ulcer... and after a week of tests, they determined that they couldnt determine what caused it... Thanks Doc, you are my frickan hero