Why can't I do this?

Options
I am so pissed at myself. Over the past year I have gained about 10 pounds. I work out daily, but only watch what I eat half the time. I am well educated in what I need to do to lose weight, I just want to know why I can't seem to do that! I end up getting mad at myself and say ***k it, and eat everything in sight. I also drink a lot of beer on the weekends which I know causes gain. I hate what I have let myself become. None of my clothes fit, I look awful, and I am tired all the time. I'm not sure what my reason is for posting this except that I am finally getting it out of my head and into words. Sorry to keep babbling.

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. It's a state mind. You have to decide when you've truly had enough. You have to come to the point where you decide you are worth it!! And when you make up your mind you have to do the work that comes along with it! Log everything you eat! When you realize what you are doing to yourself, it just might motivate you! I wish you luck! It's not an easy road, but it's one worth taking!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is how I like to think of it:

If you trip over a rock or curb or whatever, what do you do? You get up (maybe kick the rock) and move on. You don't pick it up and repeatedly smash it against your head do you? NO. (at least I hope not)

If you screw up and eat too much of something, don't let it ruin your whole day. It's fine if you go over your calories every once in a while. Get up the next day and try not to screw up.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You realize what the problem is, now what are you going to do to fix it? Are you going to keep letting it get you down, or are you going to try making some changes? Only you can decide what you will do. No one else can change those things for you. Try making small changes one at a time until you can stick with them.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me it came down to a seriously personal choice.

Do I want to indulge my desire to eat?
    Every time I overindulged in whatever I felt guilty afterwards (be it my parents Christianity being pushed through to me or not, doesn't really matter)

I made the personal choice, that no one can make for you, to lose the weight and get in shape. Whatever it entails.

You have to make that choice. Do you want to keep eating and suffer the consequences later, or do you want to do something about it now before it's too late.

Entirely up to you.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i think i speak for most of the people here when i say that we've all been there.

first off, while 10 lbs is still a gain, you are asking the right questions before you hit 20 lbs, 30 lbs, etc. so just by thinking about it and posting on this site, you are already taking charge!

how did i get started? honestly, i just mentally prepared myself for it. i honestly think that 80% of weight loss is mental. you need to set goals for yourself (not necessarily weight-related; all of my goals are behavioral), you need to imagine yourself thin, and you need to think positively. don't think 'why can't i do this', but rather 'i can do this!'. the best way to do it is to take things one day at a time, and really decide to take the positive steps you need.

it sounds like you might be restricting yourself too much, which is why most people binge. so start off slow - maybe track what you normally eat, and then eat 300 cals less for a few weeks, and exercise 3-4 times a week. even just going for a walk is an excellent step.

you can add me as a friend or message me if you have any questions. you can do this!!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Well I must say that you do know what you have to do but it doesn't sound like you are quite ready yet.....I always thought that I was really ready to do it to but wasn't. I am now because I have found this site and some really wonderful pals to help me, motivate me, support me and encourage me. You will eventually have to make some lifestyle changes and you will start to lose. Good luck on your journey and I hope I did not come across to harsh. There are lots of people on here to motivate you and keep you accountable.

Hugs
    Bev
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Need me to kick you?
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Because you made yourself believe that you couldn't.
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can do. I have been there just a couple of months ago. and everytime you get there it's harder to get out of it. Get mad. Anger can cause some serious change in a persons life, it's all about what you do with it.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, the mobile app is great. You can instantly log everything you eat. It has a bar code scanner to instantly look up the calories and nutrition info.

I LOVE beer also and is my achilles heel. I have found that if I have rum and diet coke instead, that is only 60 calories (instead of 170 or so for beer). That way if I want to go out and have a few drinks I can. You have to be able to live on a diet. If you restrict yourself too much you won't be successful.

It isn't about depravation is about moderation. Go ahead and have a beer or two if you want...just log it.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

It isn't about depravation is about moderation. Go ahead and have a beer or two if you want...just log it.

^Yes!!!
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Plan for your cheats.
    Workout on the days you cheat.
    Enjoy your cheats just make wise decisions so you do not have negative results.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Plan for your cheats.
    Workout on the days you cheat.
    Enjoy your cheats just make wise decisions so you do not have negative results.
    Since losing and then keeping off the lost weight requires permanent changes, this is a very useful tip. My husband likes to go out for drinks a couple of times a week. I don't like to restrict my food intake to accommodate the alcohol calories, so I plan extra exercise to "earn" my drinks. Since I don't like beer, I have something like a cucumber-flavored vodka with seltzer and lime, or whiskey/bourbon and diet sour, etc.

I think that once I get to my goal weight (whatever that ends up being) I will need to continue to log, otherwise that slow, incremental increase in calories attributable to an extra drink, the piece of bread before dinner at a restaurant, etc., will trip me up. So just reflect on what you think caused the 10 pounds--maybe it is just the beer--and tackle those things first.