Do you remember the moment you gave up, and why ??

What triggered your crash?

Back in 2001 I managed to literally work my *kitten* off in the gym. I dedicated a whole year away from golf to just be in the gym and see what I could accomplish with my body. Luckily a personal trainer took me under her wing and took her break right when I got there so she could help me. With her being an aspiring fire fighter (and 6' tall) she was pretty tough. In 6 months I had dropped 40lbs.
The problem lied at home deeped seated in my ex wife's insecurity. The better I looked, the more she hated me. The better I felt the more confident I became and the worse she felt about herself. Many heated arguments ensued b/c in her mind I MUST be getting in shape to screw someone else. Yeah ... she's THAT crazy. Why would I ever want to be healthy?

As the home life got worse my will power took a turn for the worse and old habits became new again. The downward spiral began but the bitterness from her never seemed to leave. So I did.

While I won't blame her for my weakness, she sure didn't help any.

Oh, btw ... the current greatness in my life is an amazing woman who motivates me and encourages my healthier lifestyle. I honestly didn't know women could be this great

Replies

• Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    I don't think you can blame someone else for making you put on weight....
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    No but being ridiculed for being a healthy person doesnt help either.
  • CMR1976
    CMR1976 Posts: 8 Member
    There's nothing worse than head games... Good for you!! Your life is changing... I have a favorite song, it's called "Choices" by George Jones, and nothing says it better... We all have choices and you are making the right ones now!!

Good luck with your journey, and look forward always!!

Keep your chin up, and take care....

Char
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    I just simply got lazy. I'm known for doing something for a few weeks/months then just quitting. Yup, I'm a quitter. I think the only reason why I'm still here and working hard this time is because even when I stopped working out a few months ago, I moved from one town to another and still lost weight. I also realized how amazing I feel when I workout and feel healthy. One of the big reasons was because I wasn't doing it for myself. I wanted to be thin for shallow reasons, or because I thought my fiance (bf at the time) wanted me skinnier. Once I got through a lot of issues and made me the most important reason for doing this, it's never been easier.
  • DaveNix
    DaveNix Posts: 78 Member
    Similar stories - my EX was frigid AND insecure - quite the combination.

However, even after "winning the lottery" and finding my WIFE (re:PARTNER in everything), I quit a second time because I simply wasn't doing it for myself - I was losing weight for my job.

Long story short, was in the Navy - working LONG hours (sometimes 110 hours/week IN PORT, not to mention effectively 24/7/365 at sea) and struggling with my weight/body fat. I busted my *kitten* to get down from 270/30% to 245/23%.. only to be a half inch over on the body fat composition. On the physical portion of the assessment I ran my fastest mile and a half, pumped out more pushups and situps than I had as a recruit 17 years prior.

But all they saw was that half inch.

So I quit while they processed me out - gained it all back and then some.

I've been at this - FOR ME - for about 8 months. The first 4 were gangbusters - lost almost 40 lbs. The most recent four I've coasted down, but I've honestly not been going at it my hardest - lots of emotional BS with my daughters and - YOU GUESSED IT - the EX.

But I'm still down almost 50 lbs. And I am going to hit ONEderful by the end of the year.

And as a my reward - I'm going to tell the EX where to go. :)
  • They didn't say they blamed anyone, just that they never helped.

I gave up after I got out of an abusive relationship, lost a pregnancy, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, my grandfather who i was a caretaker for passed away, and long distance boyfriend and I broke up. It all happened over the span of almost two years when I was 19 years old to 21 years old. I went from 168 pounds to 220lb.

I'm almost 23 now, 209lb, and with a supportive boyfriend and family. I don't want to spend the rest of my twenties over weight and unhappy.
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    I lost 87 pounds in 2006. I was working out 6 times a week and was in great shape.

Part of my fitness routine was Kung-Fu classes. I went for my 1st belt in 2007 and as I was doing my routine, I messed up one of the moves. Then I noticed the whole room was watching me. I started to hyperventilate! I couldn't compete the routine as I was so uncomfortable being watched.

I realised that even after losing all that weight and getting in shape, I was still the same person I was when I was big, with all the same issue and problems. That was the moment I gave up, gaining about 70 pounds again that year.
  • Bump.