Medical NSV of an amazing sort!

Options
Last May I went to a psychiatrist to FINALLY deal with my depression and anxiety. As part of intake, she wanted me to go get bloodwork done to first determine whether there was a physical cause of some of the mental and emotional crap I've been experiencing. There were a lot of concerns about my results!

My fasting glucose level was 125 (should be 65-99), my ALT (measuring liver problems) was 50 (should be under 32), my cholesterol was 248 (should be 150-200), and my triglycerides were through the roof! Healthy is 27-150 and mine was an unbelievable 559. My HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol, which should be over 39) was 32, which is high risk. My "very low lipoprotein" was 112 when it should be under 30, and my overall cholesterol ratio was 7.8 (should be 1-5).

Furthermore, I found out that I have hypothyroidism (my TSH was 8.96 when it should be between .3 and 3) and a dangerous vitamin D deficiency (normal is 30-100, and if you're at 12 or below, you're at high risk for bone damage - mine was 13). All of these things had been contributing to my feeling like crap! Who knew?

My psychiatrist has been urging me ever since to get a primary care doc ASAP, because I needed to see about medication for the cholesterol and get further testing for my high glucose level. Me being me, I kept putting it off. I wanted to see if I could make the necessary changes with diet and exercise first.

Today I went back and got my most recent lab results:

My cholesterol is 228, down from 248.
My triglycerides are 188, down from 559.
My HDL is 37, up from 32.
My LDL is at 153, which is still high, but it couldn't even be determined last time because my triglycerides were so high.
My TSH is 3.38, down from 8.96.
My vitamin D is 26, up from 13.

So basically, I blew the doctor away. I no longer have an urgent need for a PCP, my glucose is fine (no concern for prediabetes!), and I am continuing to lower my cholesterol ratio.

It's amazing what losing 40 pounds can do.

Replies

• Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Awesome - THAT's what I call a result!
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is phenomenal!!!! You should be very pround of yourself for your dedication and hard work!!!!! I bet the doc was surprised, huh?? :)
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Amazing is right! My results were similar with weight loss and continues to get even better -- so much so that my doctor has cut my medication dose in half!

Great job!!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    what wonderful news!
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I'm getting mine done tomorrow morning..do labs e mail you the results or do you have to pick them up? I haven't been to a lab in 14 yrs
  • LoveLeavesFootprints
    Options
    They sent them to my doctor, and she reviewed them with me at my next appointment.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad you were proactive to work hard on losing weight! What a great success!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    Awesome job. Keep it up!!!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Now that is an INCREDIBLE success story! Great work, you should be super proud of yourself! Way to go :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is great! Congrats!
  • susaneec
    susaneec Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As a longtime nurse, I cannot stress how much a difference a healthy diet/lifestyle can make in life. Amazing job!
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • LoveLeavesFootprints
    Options
    You guys are so great! ^_^
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!!! Great work getting healthy, keep kickin it!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That is really impressive. I know it can be done but that takes a lot of work and vigilance.

I was wondering if you saw any difference in your depression and anxiety that you would attribute to your healthier eating/lifestyle. I had depression for years too. I am not suggesting that depression is caused by a poor diet, but I do think it makes it worse.

I also had a low vitamin D level (under 20, I can't remember exactly) and was prescribed very large doses of supplements to raise it to a normal level. Did you take any supplements? If not, what did you eat to get your vitamin D?
  • LoveLeavesFootprints
    Options
    Absolutely! Between the thyroid meds, the Prozac, the healthy eating, and the working out, I was MORE than good to go!

I do take a vitamin D supplement. My doctor recommends 400 IU every day, but I double that... haha.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!