What do most people do?

Options
I was wondering what most people do in terms of losing 1, 1.5 or 2 lbs a week? I've gone for 1.5 and my calorie allocation is 1200. The ONLY reason I've been able to eat this amount is due to working out each day - otherwise I am sure I'd go over. Not sure what I will do on my days that I don't exercise....

Replies

• Skittlebrew
    Options
    starve
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    LOL...guess I'll have to work out every day then! :)
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I do 1 lb and get 1,490 cals. It's enough that I don't feel like I'm starving and at this point my lbs are going to come off slowly and I'm okay with that. Better than gaining right?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I will usually go over when I do not workout :-/
  • Skittlebrew
    Options
    you could always eat pickles or carrots and celery or something. next to zero calories.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I do 1 lb per week. Slow and steady weightloss :]
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    i go over when i don't workout.

No matter how much you change from 1 or 1.5 it is 1200
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I do 2 lbs and I have 1200 cals a day. I try to eat healty so I can eat more suff and not starve. I have many snacks!
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Options
    Hey Stef - I am thinking the same thing. I am going to see how this week goes and if I am hungry on the days I don't exercise, I might bump it up to the 1 lb per week. I guess I also need to look at eating more filling foods...as I am just starting, I have been focusing on just eating my calories...but I can improve on eating more filling foods...
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's possible... but you have to be very cautious of what you eat. It's seriously tough though!

Lots of veggies and lean meats. Basically, not eating anything processed.

I much prefer offsetting it with more exercise so I can eat more food and not limit myself.
  • Jennis0212
    Jennis0212 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to 1500 since thats what my doctor told me. she said it will come off slowly but healthy. I don't find myself starving either. i am trying all sorts of different recipes with grilled foods or baked or in the broiler. some are nasty lol but i am getting there. and i usually go over on fridays, thats my day where i dont feel guilty and i go out to eat with my family and enjoy a glass of wine with dinner.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I have been on 1200 cals a day since I started back in July. seriously it is a lot of calories if you divide it into 3 meals a day plus a couple of snacks. I add exercise cals of around 230 a day..but struggle to eat those back.

A typical day

breakfast

boiled egg, lean ham

lunch
    100 gms baked beans, 100gms mushrooms, 20gms low fat cheddar grated

dinner,

100gms lamb chop with veg,

snacks
    low fat yoghurt
    teaspoon nutella
    1 laughing cow triangle cheese

total around 1000 cals
    2 glasses of lite wine 80 cals
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, allowed just over 1200 cals, and when I signed up last week I thought I'd never do it, but so far it hasnt been too bad. I do look for the most filling options with the lowest cals and I've been trying to sneak a little bit of exercise to allow for more, but that isn't always possible. At the end of the day, don't starve yourself or you'll never stick to it, just try and plan ahead then you can work your meals around your life, not the other way round!! Good luck x
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips. Yes - I can see that I've been eating too many processed foods. I shall try to not do this tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My calorie allowance was 1200 up until yesterday when I adjusted my weight loss from 2 lbs per week to 1 lb per week. I worked out M-F but didn't eat my exercise calories. In order to pull off only eating the 1200 calories I eat a fair bit of oatmeal, tons of veggies and chicken is my best friend. Skim milk, low-fat cheese, those sandwich thins, Greek yogurt, Special K and Fiber One have some good snack bar style stuff. Lots of protein and fiber to fill you up and keep you full. Check out the "Eat This, Not That" e-newsletter (I think it's through Prevention or Men's Health), it's full of good ideas.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Options
    Hi Ephena,

How much oatmeal do you eat? I've often thought about eating it as a snack as it does a pretty good job of filling me up at breakfast.

I'll check out the newsletter! :)

Kind regards,

Jennifer
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I lose between 1.5 and 3 lbs per week (it seems to vary quite a bit), but my MFP goal is 1.7 lbs per week at 1300 calories per day. I try to eat my workout calories, but often I just don't really feel the need to (not hungry enough). Either way is fine as long as it works for you.
  • billrlogan
    billrlogan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am loving this site. I just started with myfitnessoal.com. All these ideas are going to get me started right.....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I always did a half pound a week. The smallest amount I ever ate was 1750.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i can't live on 1200 calories, my will just won't let me, so exercise 5x a week.... that's all i can do!