weight watchers

Options
has anyone ever tried weight watchers! my friend is on it now and has already lost five pounds which is more then ive lost on my own in three weeks. i was just wondering if its worth the money to try it out and if anyone has had any luck with it because i could really use the extra motivation!

thanks ahead of time everyone!

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It was a great jump off point but I couldn't handle counting points all the time. And I didn't know how healthy I was eating.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did. For ME, I was actually eating more calories, and gaining. I think I overdid it on fruits and veggies. Sounds impossible, but 3000 calories of apples is still 3000 calories.

I joined here in July, tracked my WW, and realized I was WAY overeating in calories. Cancelled WW, then got serious here about 6 weeks later.

I'm now down 6 pounds.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    I lost the most weight ever on WW two years ago after having my third baby, while breastfeeding. I'm almost to that point again, but through MFP only, not WW. Like a pp, the point system was too much to keep up with. But IMO, it works. :)
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight but it is really not much different than counting calories. Just make sure you eat your fruits, veggies, grains, etc drink water. Its really all about tracking and portion size. I say track here for free. It is just my opinion. I have done both and it is not much different.
  • emilysavage123
    Options
    so overall, my fitness pal is a better solution for you guys ?
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options

For ME it is, but it really depends on the person. IMHO, WW isn't much different, except you have 'points' instead of 'calories'. I found it harder to calculate points.
  • emilysavage123
    Options

For ME it is, but it really depends on the person. IMHO, WW isn't much different, except you have 'points' instead of 'calories'. I found it harder to calculate points.

Thanks a lot for your opinion! It seems to be the same type of deal to me as well, the way it was explained to me. Because im not seeing the weight drop much, i thought this might help out. But why do it, when i can have mfp for freeeee! (:
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I did WW and the points were a pain - also having to be really mindful when going out w/my hubby. I would bring a binder of restaurants with point printouts in it. When I dropped points, I starved and had to quit. I've been doing this for 35 days now, and I have lost 13lbs so far... this seems easier to track...
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Not worth the money at all. You would lose the same weight. Every methabolism is different, that's probably why your friend lost more, plus calories are much more realistic than points, and MFP is free, I was with WW younger and think that free MFP is way better plus MFP's database is more complete then WWs...
  • emilysavage123
    Options
    I did WW and the points were a pain - also having to be really mindful when going out w/my hubby. I would bring a binder of restaurants with point printouts in it. When I dropped points, I starved and had to quit. I've been doing this for 35 days now, and I have lost 13lbs so far... this seems easier to track...

wow! congrats! thanks for your input (:

also..that really does sound like a pain in the butt. haha
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

WW does't count fruit or veggies or most sauces. They all add up. I have had better luck here and it is free. Give it a little time, plus a huge one is watch your sodium, it will make you retain water and that adds up also.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers and yes I lost the weight. But at soon as I stopped looking at points I put it back on. I much prefer MFP and counting calories because I have learned how, when and why I eat the way I do. So much easier to make the changes with calories, than with points.

I have lost almost 50 lbs (I started losing before I joined MFP) and haven't had to pay one penny to anyone to tell me how to do it.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I did ww for 3 months initially lost 10 lbs then stopped losing. I hated going to the meetings and when I found this site I quit and have no regrets. This works great for me!
  • LaurenMcCeltics
    Options
    In my opinion the old points system was way better. I lost 75lbs that way. I think it's just me though. I personally did not like the change (Jennifer Hudson era) since I had been so used to the old way of doing things. I also had my coworkers joining me on the weight loss the first time around and of course that support group we had made things better. Last spring when I tried the new WW system by myself it just wasn't doing it for me. I quit after the second week.

In the end I think it's all about your attitude. If you believe it will work for you then it will. If you think it won't work for you then it won't. Currently, I'm hoping this MyfitnessPal thing works for me. It's pretty fun. I love how it just has every kind of food you can imagine. That makes tracking easy. =)
  • jjstokes
    jjstokes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've known people that joined Weight Watchers and lost a lot of weight. Some of the attraction for them was the weigh-in and meeting with their group regularly. I like MFP because it "allows" you to eat whatever you like - in moderation - and it's so portable! I can log my day's stuff, get instant feedback, adjust the next day appropriately if necessary, and get on with my life. I don't want another meeting! AND this is free. I lost the weight I wanted to lose using this site and I've kept it off for several months by continuing to log my food and exercise every day. A coworker that has used WW told me the MFP site is a lot like the WW site - except this is free.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I lost all 41 pounds on WW. I have logged on to MFP, though, for the fitness aspect for years, I find that WW has a pretty wet-noodled approach to exercise, and I am obsessed with fitness and healthy eating so the combination of these two resources has suited me very well.

Having said all of that, I have NOT been able to lose my last ten pounds, I have been trying for almost 6 months (so I've maintained this weight for six months, and this was 5 pounds lower than my original goal) and the scale has not budged. I decided that counting calories was really a good way to micromanage the way I count food. I've found that I eat far less on MFP than I do on WW, so I hope the weight comes off soon.

I still attend WW meetings, I like the group aspect and the support and I like my leader and the fellow WWers. And because I maintained this weight so well and I understand the points so well, I will likely go back to it to maintain again in the end (if this weight EVER comes off!). I eat equally healthy foods on both plans, I just eat less fruit and veggies on this plan now because I ate them with abandon on WW because they were 0 points. Now I eat them like a normal (!) person!
  • Alice230
    Options
    WW and MFP are virtually the same thing. The only difference is that with WW they count the calories for you through points. WIth MFP you have a computer track the calories for you by entering what you've ate.
    I really couldn't stand calculating every time I wanted to eat something and I didn't want to attend all those meetings. It does work,though.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I liked the old WW better and people on the new one eat alot of the 0 foods on the new one like another person mentioned and it adds up, I have the new books and calculator at home but dont really use them, and the meetings arent worth the money when you have MFP for free and alot of friends on here is just as good to me, Good Luck!
  • carriem29
    Options
    WW and MFP are virtually the same thing. The only difference is that with WW they count the calories for you through points. WIth MFP you have a computer track the calories for you by entering what you've ate.

I agree with this! I have done weight watchers for awhile now and I know it works, I just have to track to lose. Figuring out points, in my opinion, really isn't that difficult (but I'm an accountant, so I enjoy numbers). The accountabily and tracking, I believe, are the main factors to why WW works. At the moment, I personally cannot afford to go to meetings, so that is why I came here to log my food and exercise. Which ever way you decide to go, good luck:)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I did it for 5 years and I worked for me and 2 other friends! I just got tired of it. I get bored easily. I wanted to try something different too. I really like this site. I would never say I would not go back because I still believe in the program. My leader taught me so much of what I know...she really emphasized healthy eating like vegetables vegetables. She also taught realistic goals for ex. if you go on vacation are you trying to maintain or lose wt? She was really into teaching lifestyle changes a little over time so it remains effective. She was 67 and full of energy and ran races and kept us going. She was the best leader I ever encountered. She taught me the journey concept. They usually let you attend one meeting for free.