Foods that make you feel full

Options
HELP! I'm ALWAYS hungry. I'm having a hard time staying full while on my reduced calorie diet (1,200 calories). Any tips on foods that are low in calories but will keep me fuller longer?? THANK YOU!

Replies

• kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Lot's of fiber and lots of protein will do the trick!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i'm interested in some ideas as well!!
  • suzyluzy
    Options
    eggs/egg whites and 100% whole grain toast
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    Agree - protein and fiber are going to be best.
  • sara14328
    Options
    Larabars! (they are around 200 cals a piece) They are like a fruit bar and I eat them as snacks but they keep me so full in between meals and they are super tasty! They also make me not so hungry when it is time to eat so I tend to eat less at my meals. You can get them in the grocery store but they are kind of expensive so I've started buying them online. There are a bunch of different flavors, give them a try to curb appetite when its not meal time. They are great post-workout as well!
  • krirobi
    Options
    I have this problem, too! Have you ever been told to drink something when you're starting to feel hungry? Sometimes when you're thirsty the brain misreads it as being hungry so you're eating instead of hydrating yourself.

However if anyone else has the answer to the question I'd love to know as well!
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    big bowl of high protein cereal in the morning should fill you up till lunch time! I like special k.
    also snack on low fat crackers and peanut butter
    when you're really hungry skull a big glass of water before you eat anything- a lot of the time your body confuses hunger with thirst
  • ju33
    ju33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Porridge fills you up :) low in calories, sweeten with honey, also good for you :)
  • sharonnna
    sharonnna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you like celery ? Put a little peanut butter on it, or chicken salad or tuna, Or, just chew on celery sticks.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    greek yogurt!
  • cstarr3656
    cstarr3656 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    add fiber and protein to your intake. Drink at least 8 cups/64 oz of water every day. I like protein bars and drinks with high protein in between meals. Good luck
  • jess1304
    Options
    The key is FIBER! Try to get at least 30 g's of fiber a day. Take acouple of benefiber pills with breakfast every morning because fiber slows digestion, making you feel full for a longer period of time. You can also drink a ton of water throughout the day, at least 8 bottles a day and add some benefiber powder to whatever you drink. Fruits and veggies contain a lot of fiber too, so i reccomend not counting fruits and veggies against your calorie limit because I mean seriously, do you think you'll be fat from eating a ton of broccoli? Hope this helps! :)
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had a large Wendy's Chili for supper and I'm still full.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to tell you lean Protein! This definitely works.

I usually have a single cold cooked chicken skewer for morning tea everyday. This is a great filler that keep me full until lunch.
    Chicken breast in general is great and if you poach it is very low in calories for what you get.

Other things i find filling:

Water.
    Sparkling mineral/or soda water. That is the stuff without any sugar or flavouring or artificial sugar. Filling because of the water and the bubbles! Can add a splash of lemon or lime juice to make it taste nice.

airpopped popcorn. Mostly because you can have so much that it is quite filling, and also low cal. 2 cups popped is only 61 calories .

Eggwhites are great, an ommlet made with eggwhites, a little lean bacon is a fantastic breakfast.

And also i find any food that is fiddily or takes a lot of chewing tricks me into thinking i've eaten a lot. So carrot sticks or snow peas are good for that. And any kind of nut you have to shell. Having to shell them makes sure you don't eat too many!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    my new favorite is spaghetti squash with marinara. if you buy low cal marinara sauce you are looking at about 200 calories for aobut 2-3 cups full. I had it for dinner tonight with chicken breast (additional calories). It is super yummy and VERY VERY filling.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    A bean soup like, black beans or lentils. It 's very hearty and satisfying and generally low calorie. Get one with lots of vegetable in it.
  • sharonnna
    sharonnna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Drink coffee between meals to dull appetite, or eat a spoon full of peanut butter.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    OMG! I'm always hungry!!! Even when I'm not hungry I'm hungry. LOL

So I try and increase my protein and fiber. Probably not the best thing, but I also have half of my daily fat intake for breakfast which really holds me over longer. Otherwise, like a toddler, I drink something and try and distract myself for a bit so I don't think about food. Good luck.
  • ccarpe
    ccarpe Posts: 118
    Options
    Half a cup of quick oats made with water or milk (i use soymilk)with half a tablespoon of peanut butter and a drizzle of lite hershey syrup. Curbs the hunger and the sweet tooth.
  • smv123abc
    smv123abc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this! It seems to get easier!! Lots and lots of veggies! Most are actually free! You can microwave a box and put a little BBq sauce or teriyaki sauce on them and eat the whole box! Be sure to include the sauces in your calorie count!
    Wish you the best! Oh and have it with a full glass of water or coffee or tea!