eating exercise calories (not a debate). How do I...

Options
I am having a hard time staying under my calorie limit. Because of this I have been exercising then eating those calories. If I eat the exercise calories I tend to be fine, not hungry.

Will I still lose weight doing this? I finished week 1 but I'm still very new to all of this.

Allowed: about 1200 cal
Exercise: about 300 cal
total with exercise: 1500

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yes you will.

MFP already calculates a deficit for you, so eating your exercise calories is what they want you to do.

I eat mine, and still lose between .5-1lbs per week.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Maybe the foods you are eating are not filling enough? Or you are not drinking enough water. When you feel hungry drink a glass of water, if you are still hungry then eat filling foods if not then you were thirsty not hungry. Also, when you are bored you may think you are hungry but not realize it's bordem. It takes some time to get used to eating your calories. I never eat all my exercise calories but on most days I always eat a few.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's how MFP is set up, they give us a calorie goal to lose our weight before lifting a finger in exercise. Exercising widens that deficit, and eating back exercise calories keeps it where it's set, so eat your exercise calories happily ;)

I eat 2000 calories a day and losing weight
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    MFP already calculates a deficit for you, so eating your exercise calories keeps your goal range -- but be careful not to overestimate how many calories you're burning, because then you could get into trouble.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    As long as you set your activity level correctly and estimate your calories burned as accurately as possible, then yes you are correct.

I eat almost all of my exercise cals (I leave a little room for error) and I lose weight.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes eat all or the majority of your exercise calories your body needs to be refueled after a workout. Yes you will still lose weight. I eat almost all of my exercise calories that I track using my polar F7. I know many people that do this and lose. Hope that helps a little :)
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    it's fine to eat your excercise calories, actually some people do that all the time and still lose weight. dont starve yourself, if you still feel hungry after excercising, eat back those calories :D

you've only been doing this a week, give it a little more time. you know whats best for your body.

sometimes i eat mine back, sometimes i dont.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    As long as you set your activity level correctly and estimate your calories burned as accurately as possible, then yes you are correct.

I eat almost all of my exercise cals (I leave a little room for error) and I lose weight.

Agree!!
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    if you're feeling hungry all the time, you should eat more! 1500 cals may be too low for you - check your BMR (fat2fitradio.com/tools) and try to stay above that.

you can also ease into those calories by eating a few hundred less than you normally do. admittedly, it's not as fast for losing weight, but you will get there without feeling deprived.

good luck!
  • foodcraver
    foodcraver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will just add to check your protein at each meal. Make sure you are having a small portion and reaching your target at the end.
    This seems to have curbed my appetite and it is usually quite ferocious ;)
  • kimmysue
    kimmysue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will still lose weight. I almost always eat my exercise calories--just make sure you stay under the total calories. Good luck!!
  • JustCallMeLynn
    Options
    I usually go over my protein and fiber targets so I think I'm doing ok there. Thanks for all of the replies.

I have my activity level set for "sedentary" because I have a desk job. I don't get a lot of movement in my day unless I workout.

I will continue to keep doing what I'm doing and see how week 2 goes. If nothing else it's motivating me to work out :D
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A trick I learned, is to drink two 8oz glasses of water before you eat. It fills you up more. I think the exercise calories here are too generous.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    It's how MFP is set up, they give us a calorie goal to lose our weight before lifting a finger in exercise. Exercising widens that deficit, and eating back exercise calories keeps it where it's set, so eat your exercise calories happily ;)

I eat 2000 calories a day and losing weight

I didn't realize that. I thought it was 1200 regardless of working out or not. I found out before I read this post but I really didn't know.