Potassium, and Protein, and Iron, Oh My!

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on good lower cal sources of these foods. I'm always low on these three things the most.
I know Bananas are a source of potassium but they really are one of my least fav foods. I believe I read somewhere once that kiwi's are a good source?
Protien is obviously found in things like eggs and chicken etc. I'm a fan of cottage cheese but I find there's so much sodium that I had to curb the stuff. Any other good sources?
Iron...well I'm at a bit of a loss here

Any suggestions??

Edit: I'm always really high in sodium, cholesterol (not medically though), and carbs (sugars esp), so anything that wouldn't contribute to this would be fab as these are thinngs I'm trying to get a firm grasp on.

Replies

• kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I would say look into protein bars. They have bunches of vitamins and whatnot, and if you get the right ones are tasty. I have tried cliff bars (normal and builder) and both are great. Lara bars as well. Plus, they help curb hunger pretty well. Great for after a workout!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Dried apricots are a great source of potassium, below is a link to a complete list.
    http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is a good protein source (but you can also add a protein powder to smoothies or just a glass of almond milk). cinnamon is an excellent source of iron. not sure on the potassium except for yams. actually, i had a baked yam with cinnamon on it for dinner--yum!--and the extra vitamin c makes the body able to absorb all the iron.
  • innerbetty
    innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome link thanks! I need a chart like that with the other basics so I could compare and choose that way :)
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    V8 Juice - 670mg for 12 oz serving
    Orange Juice - 560mg for 10 oz serving
    Banannas are 300-400
    potatoes, raisins and lima beans are very high in potassium too. Check this link.

http://www.vitamins-minerals-in-food.com/potassium-rich-foods-list.php

I like V8 and orange juice because they come in an easy package.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Raisins are good for potassium also. Protein I like lean turkey meat, especially in a salad.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    dried apricots will give you iron as well, and the vitamin c to help you absorb it! That is important. Eat lots of spinach salads as well. Spinach is good source of many nutrients, including iron. I still take a daily multi vitamin and an iron supplement because I just don't absorb it well. Good luck!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    V8 Juice - 670mg for 12 oz serving
    Orange Juice - 560mg for 10 oz serving
    Banannas are 300-400
    potatoes, raisins and lima beans are very high in potassium too. Check this link.

http://www.vitamins-minerals-in-food.com/potassium-rich-foods-list.php

I like V8 and orange juice because they come in an easy package.

I was told to watch the V8 - too much sodium. Just a side note. :smile:
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I'm almost always low in Potassium as well. However, I went online and found a list of foods that have a ton of potassium in them, and then realized that a lot of the entries in the MFP database do not have Potassium listed when they should. My advice would be to eat off the list of higher potassium items and not to worry too much about what MFP says.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Protein. Chicken. Yum.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are potassium bombs (potassitoes?). Especially the red ones.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bumping in ! Thanks.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always low in Potassium as well. However, I went online and found a list of foods that have a ton of potassium in them, and then realized that a lot of the entries in the MFP database do not have Potassium listed when they should. My advice would be to eat off the list of higher potassium items and not to worry too much about what MFP says.

This.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Before and after a Cardiovascular burn I take Tablytes, which can be used to replace electrolytes (http://amzn.to/nHgKcx). These have healthy level of potassium in them.

The some of the best sources of protein are beans, nuts and pulses. Which are also high in fibre and low in saturated fats and funnily enough they are a good source of potassium ;-) They can be added to pretty much anything in the same way as meat.

Many of the listings in MFP do not have the all the nutritional details added, and often focus on carbs and fat.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They make a low sodium version of V8. I was surprised to see that contains 1180mg of potassium. I assume it has more because some of the salt substitutes contain potassium.