Holy cow! The bar scanner is awesome!

Options
I just had to share my enthusiasm for the bar scanner on the iphone app. This is so nice for keeping track of calories. Now, I just have to learn how to get my recipes into the tracker. Any tips?

Replies

• jlm962
    jlm962 Posts: 64
    Options
    jealous! i would love that, but i don't have an iphone!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Wait! Sounds awesome! Can you explain what the bar is though... Do you scan a bar code and by that it tells you the nutritional info?
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The android app has it as well. LOVE it.
    I'm not sure how the iphone app is setup..but when you go to add a food to your diary at the top it says "my foods" and u can click it to see what food you have added and the option to "create a new food". same for recipes. It says "recipes" on the top bar and "create new recipe" is an option.

If that makes sense :)
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can scan the bar codes on your foods and it automatically adds it to your diary. You can adjust it if need be if you had 1 serving or 2 but it automatically calculates the nutritional info for you and you don't have to go searching manually.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You go to add to your diary,
    click on recipes,
    add recipe,
    enter number of servings your recipe makes,
    name of recipe,
    scan or enter all ingredients total for recipe, it'll automatically add totals together and divide it into calories per serving.

I love it. I made black bean brownies for the first time tonight and added it as a recipe.
    Who knew you could have a 2.4 by2.4 inch brownie for 119 calories that was pretty ok tasting. It was a little odd but managable.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My co-worker showed me this on his iPhone. I was totally impressed.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    puggleperson~ Yeah you can scan the bar codes of the food that your going to eat and as long as its in the database it'll automatically pull up all the nutrition information and calories for that item.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The scanner is amazing :)
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I just tried the scanner on 3 items and it worked perfectly. VERY impressed!
  • wolfxxi
    wolfxxi Posts: 19
    Options
    Do they have something like this for Blackberry?!? That would be awesome!
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I agree! The Android app is fantastic, the scanner is the best I've seen on the many weight loss apps I've tried.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to try this - I have an android phone. If I blow up my phone somehow, I'm blaming you guys. ;)
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    Lazy ppl like me LOVE the scanner.. lol

The other night I was like hmm scan my tin or cook from scratch..
    In my defense I am sick lol

/sad life
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never knew anyone replied! Still learning about the whole site but am really liking the community and support.
  • awoutlaw
    Options
    I have an Android phone...I promise it won't blow up your phone...hehehe!

The barcode scanner is the best...makes it much easier to enter into your diary!!
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just had to share my enthusiasm for the bar scanner on the iphone app. This is so nice for keeping track of calories.

I know, if there is anything that makes using MFP easier it's the barcode scanner.
  • Jacksheadache
    Jacksheadache Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the scanner being awesome and working better than scanners within other comparable apps (at least for Android)